3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

3" Body lift?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 11:52 PM
farleyrf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 3" Body lift?

Hey guys, I have a Blue 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L V8 SLT. and I have been wanting to put a lift on it, so i can get a over-all better look, and slap just a little a little larger tires on it. Now I was wondering if a 3" lift looked decent? I would love to see some pictures of people with this same year that have done the 3" lift, or maybe pictures of other options I could look at? Any opinions are greatly appreciated!

Old 03-16-2013, 01:54 AM
Nate_sorenson
Veteran

ive got one i havent intsalled, i should get on that...

Old 03-16-2013, 05:27 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

3" PA body lift with 33" tires

Here you can really see just how much higher it is. Those steps come down quite a ways. They are still pretty high with the lift.

Attached Thumbnails 3" Body lift?-chet-ubetcha-17118-albums-2005-dodge-ram-4x4-697-picture-park-truck-medium-4010.jpg   3" Body lift?-2-chet-ubetcha-17118-albums-2005-dodge-ram-4x4-697-picture-amp-research-power-retractable-steps-.jpg  
Old 03-16-2013, 08:59 AM
farleyrf

Nice truck! I hope that mine looks that good if I decide to do it!
I got the same bars I gotta put on my truck after i lift it!
Did you have any problems after installing it?
Also, could I do the PA 3" lift kit, and then put a suspension lift on it later? I know quite a bit about trucks, but lifts are something i'm new to.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:19 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator

Thanks, I appreciate it. Those pics are a few years old, but I haven't changed much except the tires (still 33") in that time.

I have had the lift since 2006 and the power steps since sometime in 2007. I have not had a problem with either so far (knock on wood). The motors on the steps are still quick and strong and are giving no indication of wearing out. I try to spray them down anytime the truck gets excessively dirty or after a big snow, paying attention to the hinges and moving parts. They tuck right up flush under the side panel completely out of sight and cannot get caught on anything. The novelty factor is nice, but those come down and out farther than any conventional step bar, and I need them to be able to get into the truck due to physical condition. Definitely some of the best money I've spent on my truck.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:47 PM
tneville
Professional

Here are two pics of my truck with 3in PA body lift and 35in tires
Name:  20130219_110903_zpsebf106d6.jpg
Views: 1052
Size:  73.3 KB
This pic is in the middle of my rhino liner project but you can get a good idea of the stance that the truck has.
Name:  20130210_160435_zps87923e32.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  103.6 KB

Old 04-10-2013, 09:37 PM
farleyrf

Now, is it possible to do the PA 3" Lift, then get the stock torsion bars cranked to give me a little extra lift? If it is possible, what would I be talking problem wise? any sacrificing to ride quality being done there?

Old 04-11-2013, 07:47 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator

Yes, you can do a BL and a torsion crank for a level, as the BL does not interfere with any of the suspension parts. I've been meaning to do it, but I still have four brand now Rancho 5000 shocks downstairs that I have to put on as it is. If you crank the t-bars, you will undoubtedly need new, longer shocks for the front end or you will be maxing them out (stock length) every time you hit a moderate bump and eventually you will break something. You will also need an alignment done afterwards, too.

You want to crank only to a max of 2", though, or you'll start putting serious strain and angles on your suspension parts. Good luck and show some pics when you do it!

*EDIT* Nice looking truck, tneville! Is that all you have is 3" BL and a torsion level? Man... you are really going to get me into some trouble with showing me those 35" tires like that!

Old 04-11-2013, 08:31 AM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP if you have a 4x4 then you can crank the torsion bars but if it's 2wd then you don't have T bars to crank. If it's 2wd then you'll want to level it before you do the BL or else you'll still have the rake, you'll just be 3" higher off the ground but if you have 4x4 then disregard this lol. Also if you plan to do any hard offroading it's advised you don't get a BL but I haven't heard of anyone having problems offroad with a BL. And yes you can put a suspension lift on later if you want as the BL only does what it implies, lifts the body off the frame. It doesn't touch the suspension.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:28 PM
farleyrf

Well, here is a picture of the truck as is right now. Starting up the customization this week! Everything stock, except for some better shocks put on it.
I'm liking those 35" tires!
Gonna keep ya'll updated on how it looks as I keep adding stuff, and the last part will be the Lift, and the torsion crank!
Any ideas for things to add to this truck? ideas on what would look good, greatly appreciated! Got the nerf bars and the tires on the way! =D [IMG][/IMG]

Attached Thumbnails 3" Body lift?-img_84561_zpsa75d1171.jpg  

Quick Reply: 3" Body lift?