3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Driver Door Dome Light Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 10:46 AM
The GrassMan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver Door Dome Light Not Working

Good morning,
I am new to the forum and have a question. I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT and want to know what to do to get the dome light to come on when I open the driver door. One particular reason I need this to work is because the alarm system works by the dome light as well and is one of the ways that it triggers and arms itself as well. Is there some sort of switch that I need to purchase?

Old 11-01-2013, 09:14 AM
DirtyDodge812
Professional

Bump for interest. I have a 2002 as well and my domelight works for all doors except the rear drivers side door, its pretty annoying at night.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:17 PM
mega cab ram
Amateur

Disconnect your battery. Then turn your headlights on. Leave like this for 10-15 minutes.

Turn headlights off, reconnect battery.

I have found with my ram that if you leave a door open long enough for the dome light to go out (to prevent a dead battery) then use key fob or interior light switch to prolong the light, the computer will not allow that particular door to keep interior lights on. Disconnecting the battery and draining all capacitors (turning headlights on for 10 minutes) seem to reset this for me.

Old 11-10-2013, 01:31 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You guys likely either have a broken wire in the rubber door boot or a bad latch assembly in the door

Old 11-16-2013, 04:33 PM
mega cab ram
Amateur

If the door ajar indicator on the dash shows a door is open then use the battery technique... If you open the door and the indicator does not illuminate then it is probably a broken wire or the latch as weedahoe stated.

I've now used both methods to fix this... I hope dodge fixes/fixed the wiring in the boots.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:20 PM
lowridermike

I have a mega cab and the door ajar alarm keeps going off, also the dome light doesn' t come on for that door. How do I trouble shoot the wires to see if is in the wiring on in the actuator

Last edited by lowridermike; 01-23-2014 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:14 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

First, pull back and check the wires in the rubber boot from the door to the body. If they are good, replace the lock actuator

Quick Reply: Driver Door Dome Light Not Working