3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Tailgate asst.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 09:07 PM
The Ram Man 01
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tailgate asst.

Greetings, Just had a DeeZee tailgate assist installed on '05 Ram 1500 Daytona today. You would not believe how easy the tailgate goes down now. No weight at all to lift up or down. Well worth the price. Very neat.!!!!!!!!

Old 03-06-2014, 12:56 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Couple questions...

Does it take forever to lower and raise?
Does the assembly rub the side of the taillight housing?
Any pics of the tailgate mount location? All pics show the latch up top but dont show a good pic of the lower mount. I see there is a hole in the tailgate, but how does the bolt get installed? Do you have to go inside the tailgate for anything?
Was thinking about installing but would like some more info first.

I found this helpful video that answers my above questions:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=jMCO8Xbi4X0

Thanks

Last edited by dirtydog; 03-06-2014 at 01:13 PM. Reason: found answers
Old 03-06-2014, 02:03 PM
The Ram Man 01
Rookie
Default Tailgate asst.

Greetings, I had a truck asso. shop put it on. nothing rubs. The guy took out one bolt & put another on in its place. A 10 min. job. It works just like a hood or back hatch opening on a SUV. It may take a couple of sec. to open. Better than dealing with a heavy tail gate. Well worth the money.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:14 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Thanks for chiming back in. I think I'm gonna get one. i open from the side a lot and it's tough on my shoulder since I tore my rotator cuff.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:18 AM
The Ram Man 01
Rookie

Greetings, Glad to help. I know that you will be glade that you got it. With my Ram Daytona 1500 with 4 x 4 the tailgate is a little high & with the weight of the tailgate it really helps a lot. Best of luck.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:12 PM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Another, simpler (in design) option is the Hopkins Easy Lift kit. It's essentially a torsion bar that fits between the bed and the tailgate. I've got it installed on my truck and it's a fantastic device. The gas shocks can fail like hood shocks, this bar will only fail if it snaps in half but being spring steel designed for this purpose, I wouldn't place failure on it for years to come.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:19 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

I'd rather have a shock fail and leak than a piece of metal breaking apart causing damage. I like the safety of the shock as well, there's nothing to get cut on or pinched by...
My truck sees limited use so it'd be unlikely for the shock to fail on me.

Also, if this torsion bar goes at the bottom of the tailgate, then thats another issue because I have my 60" Recon LED bar there. Minimal clearance from the tailgate because it needs to be higher than the bumper to be visible. It runs right across the spare tire hole.

I paid $30shipped from 4wheelparts for the Deezee EZDown so cant go wrong.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261415044136...84.m1439.l2649

Old 03-09-2014, 06:50 AM
Prismatic
All Star
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
I'd rather have a shock fail and leak than a piece of metal breaking apart causing damage. I like the safety of the shock as well, there's nothing to get cut on or pinched by...

Also, if this torsion bar goes at the bottom of the tailgate, then thats another issue because I have my 60" Recon LED bar there. Minimal clearance from the tailgate because it needs to be higher than the bumper to be visible. It runs right across the spare tire hole.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261415044136...84.m1439.l2649

It doesn't extend below the bottom of the tailgate.

Old 03-09-2014, 09:26 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog

www.ebay.com/itm/261415044136?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1439.l2649
Torsion bar failure is practically unheard of. For an example: Go find a Volkswagen Type 3 of of any year and you'll see 35+ year old cars with the original torsions for the rear hatch and/or the hood.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:02 PM
Daves69
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"Torsion bar failure is practically unheard of. For an example: Go find a Volkswagen Type 3 of of any year and you'll see 35+ year old cars with the original torsions for the rear hatch and/or the hood."

Yes, very reliable.
I looked at the torsion bar setup for my 05 Ram and read some of the reviews. I think I saw only two negatives in over 100+ reviews. (not that I read 100 reviews)
1) Evidently the gate needs to come off to install and some how the bar caused a dent trying to install.
2) One bar snapped after a few months.

I had a torsion bar in a '66 Charger snap. Maybe 10-12 year old bar at the time. Sounded like a small cannon went off and the front right of the car dropped to the wheel instantly. Scared the daylights out of me. That said, my '69 Cuda still has the originals, under the front end and in the trunk.
Anyway, yeah, they can break on occasion.

For the Ram, I ordered the DeeZee cylinder. Appears to be an easy install. If it works as advertised I'll be just fine with that.

Quick Reply: Tailgate asst.