3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Question about my 2008 Tail lights,..

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 11:41 AM
JB's Ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about my 2008 Tail lights,..

I would LIKE, to get rid of the Bubble-look tail lights on my 2008 2500. I don't like the LED type lights. ( Personal preference I guess). I've heard earlier tail lights can be used? They don't have the bubble look to them.
Anyone know if they would work? And, which years would work if any?? Thanks.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:34 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome to the forum!!

Some rewiring will be required to use the 02-06 units since they are 3 bulb units with one bulb being park/turn signal, one being park/brake light and the reverse light obviously.

The 07-08 only use two bulbs park/turn/brale and a backup bulb.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:37 PM
JB's Ram

Originally Posted by lxman1
Welcome to the forum!!

Some rewiring will be required to use the 02-06 units since they are 3 bulb units with one bulb being park/turn signal, one being park/brake light and the reverse light obviously.

The 07-08 only use two bulbs park/turn/brale and a backup bulb.
I think I'm on the way to the Boneyard... U-pick-it... I can grab a older one for cheap. And start experimenting on the wiring. If, I can figure it out. AND, figure out bulb placement. I'll go for a set and do it. Thanks for the clarification on the difference!

Old 10-11-2015, 01:45 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I can't help, technically, but I'm with you that I don't really like the "bubble" tail lights, either. They remind me of Silverado tail lights from the era.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:03 PM
JB's Ram

Originally Posted by Chet Ubetcha
I can't help, technically, but I'm with you that I don't really like the "bubble" tail lights, either. They remind me of Silverado tail lights from the era.
Well, I went to U-Pullit. I could only find ONE tail light... (They gave it to me). It was cracked. Of course I got charged 3 bucks just to walk thru the gate. But, I'm now gonna play with wiring and the bulb sockets to see how hard it will be. I can mess up with this one. See what I should do better when it comes time to install a pair... So, this weekend I should have the time. I'll post an update
After I set everything on fire! Lol.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:30 AM
mrfblack08laramie
Amateur

How did your wiring experiment turn out?

Old 12-11-2015, 09:18 PM
JB's Ram

Originally Posted by mrfblack08laramie
How did your wiring experiment turn out?
I'm sorry for no follow/up in a timely manner but, I've been caught up in moving. Going on my winter lay-off. Address changes,.. Ect... The panel, or circuit board thingy in the back I gutted. The holes I carfully reshaped with my demmel tool
To accept the '08 sockets and bulbs. It worked great for the top two. ( l had to use 2 of the gray colored spongy gaskets between the socket and board for a tight seal... The third hole, the cutting disk just shattered to heck the hole completly. ( My fault). I simply got into a hurry I guess.
It can be repaired I guess by over lapping plastic and epoxy for bonding. Then, a new hole can be drilled and cut to size. It WILL work. I've not had the time to follow thru. I REALLY would like to post a pic when done. Just, need the time to get er done!

Old 12-11-2015, 09:54 PM
mrfblack08laramie
Amateur

No worries on the timing of the follow-up. The pics will be nice whenever it works for you. Thanks for the update!

Quick Reply: Question about my 2008 Tail lights,..