3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Water Pump & Lifetime Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 04:40 PM
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pump & Lifetime Warranty

So check this out. Spring a pin hole leak in the water pump heater hose metal return line that feeds into the water pump. Dealer calls and says that water pump is covered under lifetime warranty but some bolts that hold water pump on are rusted and that if they should break it could be up to $320.00 or more in labor to fix broken bolts issue. I call BS after they also said they wanted to replace thermostat that I just replaced 2 years ago.

So what are the thoughts here from the forum. Lifetime Warranty T&C states that The Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair a powertrain component listed in section E. Are bolts not a part of the water pump and if they should break would the labor not be covered as part of the ALL parts and labor needed to repair the component. I have no control over what rusts or not and have asked dealer to send me a picture of the rusted bolts as proof. Still waiting on picture......

Old 08-23-2017, 07:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

I tend to agree with you, but, I am not a lawyer..... That said, it's entirely possible that it SHOULD be covered under warranty, but, the tech doesn't get paid as much for it, as he would if YOU were paying for it. I would call the dodge customer service line, and see what they have to say.

Old 08-30-2017, 12:30 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

^ THIS.

Where's our Dodge Cares representatives that can give an answer for this? They are always on here trying to direct forum members to expensive dealerships for the most minor of DIY questions, so let's get someone that is actually getting hosed by a dealership an honest answer...

Old 08-31-2017, 12:04 PM
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chet, thank you for the bump on this thread. Here is an update as of today.

This is no longer an issue with the dealer as they were able to remove the bolts and replace the water pump without any problems and this work was conducted under the lifetime warranty at no cost. Besides the initial rusted bolts issue I have no complaints with the dealer but I have concerns with RAM and this so called lifetime warranty if and when I should have to use it in the future.

Below is a response back from the RAM Customer Assistance Center where they offered to work with me if I had been charged but I find their response lacking at best to back up their lifetime warranty making statements about wear and tear, rust, vehicle age, only parts listed are covered and nothing else, whatever. So, if that was the case should I have expected to be billed for antifreeze when the water pump was replaced. Surely some leaked out because this part # for antifreeze was listed on the manifest at no cost as well and I did not see antifreeze listed as a covered part.

Thank you for contacting the RAM Customer Assistance Center.

I can understand why you would ask the question in relation to the
repair you are needing.

The Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty covers the parts listed in the
description and nothing else. If a part breaks due to age or wear and
tear, it is not a warranty concern and may be why the dealer is
informing you. The bolts may be covered for defects by the warranty but
rust is not likely considered a defect in a 10 year old vehicle.

With that all being the case, we can certainly review your request as I
see you have had other vehicles with FCA in the past. If you would be
willing to have the repair completed and submit a copy of the repair
order and proof of payment, we would be happy to look into available
options for reimbursement. As the concern is on parts that are not
warranty covered, this would be the only way we may be able to help.

Please reply with your decision on whether you would like to pursue this
course of action.

Thank you again for your email. Should you require additional
assistance, or have any new information to provide, please reply to this
email message or call 1-866-RAM-INFO (1-866-726-4636).

And here is my response back to RAM
RAM Customer Assistance Center,
Thank you or the response but this is no longer an issue thankfully. I must say though that I am very disappointed in this response and position by RAM. It seems to me that Ram may not be 100% willing to back up this warranty when the time comes for a consumer to use it be it 10, 15, 20, or 30 years later.

In reviewing the supplement to the 2006 and 2007 and 2008 Model Year Warranty Information Books that is attached to this email and was supplied when I purchase this vehicle back in 2007 the document states and is quoted below.

B. What’s Covered
The Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair a powertrain component listed in section E below that is defective in workmanship and materials.

This statement does not even come close to stating that it only covers the parts listed in the description and nothing else. Nor is there any statement or reference to a part breaking due to age, wear and tear or rust. If a part is warranted for Life, it is warranted for life. If some other supplement was released to the contrary on this original statement by Ram please share it with me so that I am aware.

There is no disclaimer listed that states oh, that is wear and tear, we don't cover that. That part is rusted or our technician broke it in the process of the repair, you are going to have to pay for that. Not the customers problem. Going back to the statement that the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair a powertrain component listed in section E are covered.

Based on this response, which is completely different than the one I received when I called the 800 number, I must say that my confidence in this warranty has been severely diminished and i am glad I talked my son out of purchasing a Lifetime Warranty just yesterday on his new Dodge Ram purchase. I will also be sharing this response on the online forums I follow so that others are aware of this practice.

I hope that if I need to use this warranty again in the future I am not presented with the same excuse or reasoning from Ram.

So in closing folks just beware that as time passes by for those of us with this Lifetime Warranty one my have to fight and dispute claims by the dealers and RAM itself that the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair a powertrain component as stated originally may not be honored.

Oh, and please pardon me for any misspellings or just bad writing.

Last edited by 05220713; 08-31-2017 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 08-31-2017, 12:33 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Pretty good response to their stance. I'd have personally left off the bit about sharing the response on forums and with friends until you at least see how they react to your email (you only get to drop the hammer once), but it's a well-presented argument to their reply to you. Good luck, and let us know how it progresses, please!

Old 09-01-2017, 10:26 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

If a part breaks due to age or wear and
tear, it is not a warranty concern
Seems to me, this right here is grounds for the dealer to disqualify ANY repair under warranty. Anything that has a seal is eventually going to wear out under normal use.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:59 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 05220713
So check this out. Spring a pin hole leak in the water pump heater hose metal return line that feeds into the water pump. Dealer calls and says that water pump is covered under lifetime warranty but some bolts that hold water pump on are rusted and that if they should break it could be up to $320.00 or more in labor to fix broken bolts issue. I call BS after they also said they wanted to replace thermostat that I just replaced 2 years ago.

So what are the thoughts here from the forum. Lifetime Warranty T&C states that The Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair a powertrain component listed in section E. Are bolts not a part of the water pump and if they should break would the labor not be covered as part of the ALL parts and labor needed to repair the component. I have no control over what rusts or not and have asked dealer to send me a picture of the rusted bolts as proof. Still waiting on picture......
Did the dealer replace the fan clutch when the water pump was replaced? If not, check to see if it's still good. It is advised that when the water pump fails, the fan clutch should be replaced as well as it is soon to going out. I replaced the water pump in my 2007 earlier this spring and discovered the fan clutch was already gone. I replaced the thermostat as cheap insurance while I was in there and think you over-reacted at the dealer stating they'd replace the thermostat as well. So what if it was just two years ago? Peace of mind is worth a few bucks spent today.