3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Coolant Leak Mystery 2005 5.7

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 02:13 PM
Johnny thorn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Leak Mystery 2005 5.7

Has anyone else found the source of a very slow coolant leak from the upper portion rear of the block? It's not coming from the heater hoses but I cant really see beyond that point.
TIA

Old 04-10-2019, 08:15 PM
72rtchallenger
Professional
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would check freeze plugs , I would think there is one on the end of the heads , other than that maybe head gasket blown outward but unsure ,,probably, need a good light and a inspection mirror that you can hold and get better view of backside

Old 04-10-2019, 09:04 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

I have a similar problem in the front of the new to me 5.7.... I pulled the shroud and fan to gain a better view, but still had a problem pin pointing origin. I had it apart enough that I gambled and replaced the water pump because I thought it was leaking where it meets the engine... unfortunately, I lost that gamble still leaks. I have a bunch of stuff to correct for inspection, so its lower on the list right now.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:51 AM
Johnny thorn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the input. No sooner did I post the question than I realized it was most likely a freeze plug. I have not inspected it yet but that's what I expect to find. I was hoping that maybe there was a hose on the backside of the motor somewhere that I couldn't see. Hoping that there is a secret freeze plug within the bell housing (that I just had apart the replace the TC ugh)
Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak Mystery 2005 5.7