3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

dodge techs, you got to read this one

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 10:23 PM
dannysdodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dodge techs, you got to read this one

have a 03 ram 1500 3.7L ,got 16000 on it now it starts misfiring,take it to the dealership,of course the blame is the cold air pipe under the hood ,no check engine light at all so i go home put the stock stuff back on drive it for a few days,misfire gets really bad,doesnt do this at idle just cruising speeds & climbing a hill no check engine light on at all,take it back to the dealership,mechanic drives it with a scan tool hooked up says its misfire is jumping one cylinder then to another,& no codes are found & it randomly misfiring on different cylinders,checks fuel pressure,checks good,mechanic says to me he dont know how to fix it.truck has been there at the dealership for a week now ,told me it would be 1 to 2 weeks before a tech rep could look at it,i've been a diesel mechanic for10 yrs myself,dont know much about gas burners, so i mentioned to him could the pcm be bad or need reprogrammed,he said the dont have anything to re- flash,reprogram it there. none of this makes any sence to me at all

Old 08-26-2004, 10:33 PM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker
Default RE: dodge techs, you got to read this one

Sounds like a sh*tty dealer to me. Is it a backwoods dealer that has about 10 other brands that they sell? I'd go to the service manager and ask for the phone number to the regional district office. I know that the omaha area dealers charge $90 to flash the program and it's just a lil box to do it. I put on some new tires and just wanted to fine tune the speedo. Come to find that going from 275/70R17(31") to 285/70R17(33") there isnt really much difference. We have a speed gun operated speed display sign and my speedo is dead on up to 45mph(cant go any faster in housing area)

Old 08-26-2004, 10:48 PM
dannysdodge

yeah i called dodge customer service line,they told me 3 to 5 business days before the could give me a response, im about to find it a new home soon. this supposed to be a5 star dealership

Old 08-26-2004, 11:01 PM
bearcat74
Professional

I would say the PCM is the most likely cadidate. I am suprised they dont have the programer at the dealership since all three in the area I have been to have them. They were about to change mine this last time and I about killed the technician since it cost to get it to where it was at. But anyway, definately sounds like an output problem with comp. That is most likely due to a memory chip not stabilizing under heat or vibration. Hope they get the truck working soon. Let us know how it goes...

Old 09-21-2004, 12:08 AM
dannysdodge

got it fixed ,traded it for another ram 1500

Old 09-21-2004, 01:15 AM
Vader
Champion

You are an excellent mechanic
ORIGINAL: dannysdodge

got it fixed ,traded it for another ram 1500

Old 09-21-2004, 01:33 AM
Dodgegirl19
Lady Administrator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats the quickest way to get it fixed. Congrats!

~Amanda

Quick Reply: dodge techs, you got to read this one