3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 06:53 PM
moreese
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overdrive

I have an 04 Ram QC 4x4 with the 4,7 and 3.55 gears. I drive about 40 miles each way to work each day, the road has some very mild hills and I concerned because the truck down shifts so easily when I have the cruise on. If i control the gas, I downshift 1/4 as many times as the computer.

Is this normal and if so is there anything that I can do to keep it from shifting so much?

Also, I haven't had a vehicle with cruise for a long time, and I find that when I go down a grade and accelerate the trans downshifts to slow the truck down... I HATE IT WHEN IT DOES THIS! any ideas????

[IMG]local://upfiles/7736/4EF6BE932FF246F699E592A2E3C9F923.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-24-2004, 11:28 PM
Arcane
Rookie
Default RE: Overdrive

Umm, if you don't like the cruise control then don't use it. There is nothing you can do to change it.

Old 09-24-2004, 11:57 PM
moreese

Umm, just seeing if there is anything that can be done to change the way the computer shifts... I, in fact, love cruise control.... just voicing some gripes.

Old 09-26-2004, 02:25 AM
drtelco
Professional

I had the same problem with the shifting....I also hate it....It's even worse when you are towing. I have to tow at least at 60 MPH to keep the transmission from shifting constantly...even in tow haul mode...On level ground it doesn't happen...only when pulling a grade. I did find a solution was to drive faster...around 70-75 I do not have the problem...but I have to keep an eye out for the Highway Patrol. Plus the fact they frown when your towing at 70-75, but the Hemi will easily hit 100 towing my boat....

Old 09-26-2004, 04:06 AM
Palm
Professional

I'm not sure what the difference is, but I have not experienced the problems you guys say you are having. I often tow my T.T. (about 4800 Lbs as towed) and I don't have a problem with excessive shifting. I only have to use the tow/haul position if in very hilly terrain.

When I am not towing, I have no problem running the cruise control in moderately hilly country. Even on large, long hills it does not have a tendecy to shift more than any other transmission normally would, and I have never experienced the downshifting while descending a hill that is reported here.

Fact is, I have told many people that the cruise control in my Ram works better than in any vehicle that I have driven.

Old 09-26-2004, 12:57 PM
HickoryC

I have the same problem as moreese and drtelco when towing with my 5.4 Expy. Turn cruise off and it doesn't down shift nearly as often as when it's on. Previous tow vehicle didn't down shift w/cruise on going up a steep grade until it had lost 9 mph. I liked that better.

Quick Reply: Overdrive