3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

04 Hemi starting problem, help please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 10:59 PM
billyn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Hemi starting problem, help please.

I have a 2004 Dodge Hemi quad, I have a problem that usually happens in the morning after she is sitting all night. When I go to start her she will stall and sometimes maybe idle low, like she is about to stall. Does anyone know if this is common, or should I be very concerned? My malfunction indicator light will appear sometimes after she stalls also. Thanks in advance for any info!

Bill.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:12 AM
NJMandCEM
Professional
Default RE: 04 Hemi starting problem, help please.

Well.... first off... Check the directional fluid... if's it low add fluid... hehe..

Old 05-25-2007, 12:37 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Listen to see if your fuel pump is priming. Mine is pretty loud for an '06 and you can hear them on most cars. In the morning turn your key to the on position without starting and wait like 3 seconds then turn it the rest of the way to start. Listen for the pump and if it starts ok, and you don't have this problem after doing this a few times, your fuel pump might be going bad. It might not be pressurizing like it should. Try this first, because I assume your truck works fine the rest of the day after running in the morning once you get it started.

The next obvious thing to check would be your air filter, make sure that it is not clogged.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:30 AM
billyn

thanks,I usually wait a few seconds before starting .Iam getting it check out ,on a cold morning the truck will start and right after it sometimes will cut out and i will start it again and it good.live in remote area no dealership

Old 05-25-2007, 01:43 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has to be something stupid as your truck runs fine after you get it actually running. There has to be something that has a clog, is dirty, or something like that. What kind of gas do you run in it? You might also have a plug that is corroded. Another 2 easy checks. Run a tank of premium with injector cleaner, might help. Also pull your plugs and make sure they are ok.

I am trying!! LOL!!! I would try all this first and since you said that you live in a remote area, well I am doing my best.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:46 PM
Duso02
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You said you get a CEL? What's the code thrown? Check your IAT sensor, maybe it came disconnected.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:31 PM
Talltimbo

This may sound stupid but also check your battery connection as well. I hasd that problem with my dakot and I noticealot of corrosion. If there is corrosion you can just pour coke ( pop) on it. Works wonders.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:33 PM
hemi348

Sounds like fuel problem, check filter and pump. Pull a hose or something and see if it is feeding gas properly. Maybe you have bad gas... could be 100 things lol.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:03 PM
NorthernCanuck

Mine would do that in the winter, but that was at about minus 35 Deg C. and the PS fluid was too thick at the would kill the engine but once I started it again it ran fine, PS pump made a nasty wine till it got warm. but since it is May I doubt that would be your problem. I would try the fuel filter, has it ever been replaced?

Old 05-25-2007, 11:14 PM
nuttyprofessor
Rookie

sounds like a dodge problem...simple solution sell the dodge...LOL

Quick Reply: 04 Hemi starting problem, help please.