3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Check Engine - No Codes

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 09:07 AM
THRobinson
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check Engine - No Codes

Been sick all week so the truck hasn't run in about 4 days. Cold morning but not overly cold, -8'C/18'F.

Started the truck, no issues, except the Check Engine light came on.

Grabbed my cheap ODBII and plugged it in, and tried 5 apps and all say 0 error codes detected. I had this once with an Impala on a VERY cold morning, way colder than today. Thought maybe the same deal... cold day, triggered the light. Drove around the block and came home again. Engine when accelerating has an almost dry scrapping sound to it... but hard to tell if just normal or not. Truck has 390,000km on it and usually first thing in the morning it's a bit louder and makes noises when warming up and fluids get flowing. Half hour later it's running fine.

Any ideas? Kinda strange to get an error light with no error. Current, pending or stored.

Held the phone underneath and pressed the gas with my hand... noise coming from the front somewhere.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=10o...V6K3n4PC8eeo4G

Last edited by THRobinson; 02-21-2020 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-21-2020, 12:18 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Checked the oil?

Old 02-21-2020, 11:54 PM
THRobinson
Rookie

Yup... checked the oil and gas cap soon as I saw the light.

Old 02-22-2020, 12:12 PM
TrueDogman
Captain
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

That noise kinda sounds like torque coverter bolts rubbing on inspection cover. That wouldnt activate check engine light I dont believe tho

Old 02-22-2020, 01:00 PM
THRobinson
Rookie

Originally Posted by TrueDogman
That noise kinda sounds like torque coverter bolts rubbing on inspection cover. That wouldnt activate check engine light I dont believe tho
Maybe 2 separate issues... Though if what you said is true, is that an easy fix? I'm kinda at that point where the next big fix for this truck may be the last.

Quick Reply: Check Engine - No Codes