3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Newbie init/a near death experience/engine and tranny question

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 05:39 PM
Lufti
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie init/a near death experience/engine and tranny question

Hi everyone!
I'm a proud owner of 07 Ram 1500 with Hemi. Just got the truck about 5 months ago, and I absolutely love it so far.
Today, I almost had a near death experience on I-95, and this is the reason why I am asking a question regarding the engine and the transmission.
I was just about to pull out from a ramp to the highway, and I saw a Nissan in the lane. So I slowed down to let him drive by. However, the nissan was trying to take the exit, which was about 50ft from where I was. (The ramp and the exit is less than 100ft from each other.) So, I hit the gas to get out of the nissan's way. My truck, being a 4X2 and not ECS equiped, started to get out of control. The natural reaction kicked in. So I let go of the gas and steered the truck into the spin. The spin just got worse and I ended up spinnning a few times and ended up stopping into the traffic. Then, I saw an 18wheeler almost running me over. Thank god, the truck driver somehow steered clear from me. Even though I stopped the traffic on I-95 south bound for about a couple of minutes, I was alive. Also, my truck survived without a scratch. The only thing that concerns me though, is the fact the the engine was stalled. If anyone has an experience like me or engine stalling as a result of the truck going in the wrong direction with the shift in the drive position, I would like to know if it caused any damage to the engine or the tranny. If anyone has a recommendation (inspection by a dealer, etc), please let me know also. Thank you all.

Old 08-02-2007, 05:49 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion
Default RE: Newbie init/a near death experience/engine and tranny question

Welcome to the forum, That has never happened to me when I had my hemi or diesel.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:04 PM
Vandersnoot
Professional

I dont know if this will answer your question, but at a driving school that I attended, they said that if you ever get "pitted" or start to spin, throw your trans. into neutral or it will stall. It doesnt cause any damage.....it just cuts out.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:10 PM
casper3380
Veteran

information for the future there vandersnoot. good to hear you came out ok m8

Old 08-02-2007, 10:14 PM
Ben D.
Champion

well it makes sense because if you would spin out and all the sudden your tires stop and the tranny doesn't have time to disengage then yea it would stall. just as if you didn't put the clutch in in a stick shift when slowing down to a stop.

was the road wet??? because it seems pretty crazy you went into a spin on dry pavement just from laying into the gas.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:19 PM
07 Ram TRX4
Captain

Can you show me how to do that??? It does sound like a lot of fun....

Old 08-02-2007, 11:52 PM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker

My family was in an accident in september in my powerstroke. We were getting on the highway at normal speed and hydroplaned and flipped in the median.I am pretty sure the engine died in the spin so I figure Ben's explanation was correct. Does dodge offer a ESP or some type of traction control on any of there rams?

Old 08-03-2007, 12:00 AM
Brother Rob
Retired Moderator

Never even heard anything like that!! Glad that you and your truck came out without a scratch.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:40 AM
Mega-Hemi
Record Breaker

It makes sense that your truck was doing approx. 60mph in a forward direction then spun to a reverse. That will stop any movement of the drive train instantly. I haven't had that happen in my ram yet but it happened quitea few times when I did alot of off roading in my old ford. Or maybe it was because it was a ford.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:12 AM
CMA
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ram pushes like a pig, to get it to spin you're going to need massive ammounts of forward weight transfer.

You probably slammed on the brakes while turning at the limit. Go take a driver education course with the SCCA. Not the trucks fault.

Quick Reply: Newbie init/a near death experience/engine and tranny question