DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech-65/)
-   -   Seige Engineering train horns, buyers beware (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/121484-seige-engineering-train-horns-buyers-beware.html)

KRZY.BMET 08-24-2007 05:20 PM

Seige Engineering train horns, buyers beware

As most of you know I had the trian horn kit purchased from Seige Engineering. They carry a small compressor/tank assembly for a great price called the Jericho Kit. STAY AWAY FROM THIS SET UP!!!! I have had my set up for just over 3 months now and here is what has been going on. First pump installed and 1 week later, the compressor seizes and needs to be returned for replacement. 2nd pump arrives and goes in (3 weeks from initial date of purchase) and 1 week later my pressure switch craps out and only allows the tank to fill to 85 psi (supposed to be 120 psi). Again Seige sends me the switch and I change it. 3 days ago I turn my truck on and the compressor comes on and it sounds like a plane is taking off in the bed of my truck. This is really not good. I remove the pump assembly and tear into it. I find that the bearing on the piston and shaft are destroyed. I then notice that it is only a 4 bearing set up (should have been at least an 8 with the heat and RPM's that it produces). So now I am a little perturbed. I call Seige Engineering today and speak to Bob, the lead tech for them, and start to discuss my problem. He tells me that there is nothing that he can do as the unit only has a 30 day warranty. I then explain to him the technical aspects of the design and the problems and mentioned that there is no way that this pump can handle what they are selling it for. Now that he knows, I know what I am talking about, he quickly speaks candidly with me and tells me that they have had several problems with the Jericho pumps and are in the talks to discontinuing them. This is also why they are selling so cheap on EBay now. He also agrees that these are light duty pumps and will not last. I then asked if I could get the parts to fix and he said that it would be at least 2 weeks before I could get any parts. Not good again. So now all I have is the horns in the truck and have to look into something else. So to all the DF members that read this, do not buy the Jericho 3 Liter kit from them. It is horrible quality. I am in no ways bashing the vendor, they are great to work with and helped me out all they could (besides giving me a new pump). This is just a warning...

cr80renob 08-24-2007 05:46 PM

RE: Seige Engineering train horns, buyers beware

Thanks a lot for the heads up! That is really good to know!

I hope you get you situation all figured out... good luck!

squirtbottle09 08-24-2007 06:16 PM

Is there another brand other than the jericho that is made with higher quality stuff.

kx250frider617 08-24-2007 06:32 PM

wolo-mfg.com

KRZY.BMET 08-24-2007 09:04 PM

ORIGINAL: squirtbottle09

Is there another brand other than the jericho that is made with higher quality stuff.
Bob, Seige's tech, said to pretty much stay away from combined units. He said to look for the compressor separate from the air tank. He mentioned that they carry another compressor made by viaair that is $249 and it is supposed to come with tank and the compressor but they are separate and it comes with a 1 year warranty. I am going to be looking around now for more options though.

JRH_PowerWagon_06 08-25-2007 02:18 PM

30 day warranty, that says alot about the company.

KRZY.BMET 08-25-2007 07:55 PM

Yeah the warranty sucked and I did not notice it at the time. I have never purchased anything new that only had a 30 day warranty. Either way, I am looking at 2 different Viair compressor and either a 2 or 3 gallon tank now. Compressor comes with a 1 year warranty.. Much better. I will keep all posted when I do something.

HammerZ71 08-25-2007 09:15 PM

The single largest advantage of belonging to one of these forums is the ability to share knowledge of what works and what doesn't with so many people, all of whom share the same interests. Our vehicles are not cheap and a good many of us sink a sizeable portion of our income into mods for them. It is important for those who get burned or simply find a product that is of suspicious quality to get the word out.
Even though I personally have no interest in train horns, I and I'm sure everyone on here, appreciates the heads up.

KRZY.BMET 08-25-2007 10:13 PM

ORIGINAL: HammerZ71

Even though I personally have no interest in train horns,
Wait till I get the new set up, I will hook up with you someway, then you will want one... LOL!!!!

Horseapples 08-26-2007 01:42 AM

No way will I ever want a train horn, not gonna happen! To those that want them, rock on , but i dont take pleasure in scaring the hell out of people!