3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need new key

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 07:48 AM
Sir Hardin Thicke
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need new key

I personally wouldn't have taken the truck off the lot without a 2nd key. Any good dealer would have picked up the cost of this relatively inexpensive item to keep your business.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:57 AM
motorhead426
All Star

If your not looking to buy a fob this is the way I see it. I used to do the programming of the keys and fobs at the dealer I used to work at... Raise your hand if you have ever gone to a hardware store and had a key made... now raise your hand if the key didn't work exactly the way it was suppose to...

The way I see it is, why pay $45+ for a blank key from the dealer, take it to the hardware store, then learn it was not cut correctly and pay for another $45 blank key.Programming the key you can do yourself through the truck if you have another programmed key. The fob can only be programmed through the dealer scan tool. I would just shell out the dough for the dealer to take care of it, and be done with it.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:36 PM
ray97
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Sir Hardin Thicke

I personally wouldn't have taken the truck off the lot without a 2nd key. Any good dealer would have picked up the cost of this relatively inexpensive item to keep your business.
I bought the truck from a private owner so I didn't have that option. I went ahead and bought 2 new sets of keys and fobs for 75 bucks shipped off of ebay. I will take them to the dealer to have them cut and programmed. Hopefully they will do it all for the one programming fee of 50 bucks.LOL It will probably take less than 5 minutes to do????

Old 09-05-2007, 08:57 PM
Foiled
Veteran

If they will not do both keys just get one done and do the 3rd your self.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:45 AM
pls313

I am a locksmith in oregon. i also own a 06 QC with the Keyless entry system. This is what I recomend to people with 1 key.

The first question is do you need to have an extra key with a remote or a regular key that will start the truck? If just a regular key go to the dealer and get the key code and the pin code. the latter is the most important! Once you have that go to a good auto locksmith that has a T-Code Pro machine or a MVP system, that machine a locksmith can program a key for about the 60-80 range, we charge 70 at our shop.

If you want the remote key purchase one off e-bay but make sure its new, I have seen several that are cut keys and that wont help you for beans..anyway, get the key and again go to a locksmith with those tools and they can program both the remote anad the sentry part of the key. You can also buy the key/ remote from keylessride.com they are based in texas and sell them all the time.

Good luck e-mail if you have any questions pls313@yahoo.com

Old 09-06-2007, 11:04 AM
HuskyJazz
Professional

Not that this will help you, but I bought 2 newblank keys off of ebay for around 35 to 40 bucks. I took them to Ace because they have always cut good key for me. Since they were my keys, they didn't charge me to cut them. I then followed the directions to program them. However, you must have two good programed keys to program one by your self. I did and was able to program them both without any problems. I now have 4 good keys. I got 2 extras because mine had the remote built into it and I got an after market alarm and remote start and did not want both remotes. By the way I have an 06.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:59 PM
ray97
Veteran

OK, so this is the conclussion to my key problem. I bought 2 keys and 2 keyless fobs from ebay that cost me 75 bucks delivered to my door. Then I went to the dealer here and had them cut and programmed all for only 38 bucks. So all together I paid 113 bucks for everything. I am very happy with that price considering the dealer wanted 150 just for 1 set. Thanks for all the help and advise.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Sir Hardin Thicke
Record Breaker

I have an '04 with the separate keys and fobs. If I wanted to get a newer key that is a key and fob in one unit, can I?

Old 09-11-2007, 03:22 PM
ray97
Veteran

I am not sure if you can do that or not. Look on ebay and see if yhey offer that. This is the place I bought mine from. I went with this guy because I could call and actually talk to someone.

http://stores.ebay.com/THE-REMOTE-KEYLESS-ENTRY-STORE