3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

automatic headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 11:56 AM
greg14_00
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default automatic headlights

Is there any way to make my headlights stay off until I turn them on by the stock switch?

Old 10-10-2007, 12:42 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: automatic headlights

What year truck do you have? 08? I was unaware Rams had automatic headlights.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:14 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Turn the headlight switch off BEFORE you turn the ingition switch off. or if you turn the ignition switch off first, turn the headlight switch on then back off.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:27 PM
greg14_00
Professional

It's an 02. As soon as i start my truck the headlights turn on. I want it be able to turn the headlight switch once to turn the signal lights on, and then i can turn the switch over twice to turn the headlights on. I dont know if you understand that cause im starting to confuse myself.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:38 PM
Parts/Service
Champion

Is an 02 1500? If so it sounds like you have daytime running lights. Try putting the emergency brakes on and see if the lights go out. If they go out, you are going to have to get a dealer to disable the daytime running lights

Old 10-10-2007, 01:44 PM
eltupac
All Star

I know in my truck05, if I leave my lights onby mistake, it shutsoff automatically after so many minutes. Its a safe thing for the battery.

In yourcase, I have never heard of headlightscoming on automatically. I thought our trucks did not have daylight driving lights.

"I want it be able to turn the headlight switch once to turn the signal lights on, and then i can turn the switch over twice to turn the headlights on." Thats the way it works on mine. I guess 02 are different.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:49 PM
atlaticblueram
Professional

I ALSO HAVE AN 02 1500 SPORT AND IT IS NOT EQUIPPED WITH DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS I WAS NOT AWARE THAT IT CAME WITH DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHTS.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:54 PM
Parts/Service
Champion

Not 100% positive what all years have daytime running lamps, but it can be activated by the dealer. It is on the truck, just not activated. I would have to hook up a DRB III to an 02 to look if it is there or not. I know its on later models. But the DRL's will not work with E-brake on. Its also possible that the country code programmed into the truck is from Canada where DRL's are required....

Old 10-10-2007, 02:28 PM
biglg
Professional

My 07 can have day time running lamps?

Old 10-10-2007, 02:54 PM
mcbang

Hi greg14. you need to go to the dealer, tell them to hook up the DRB3 scanner to your truck. then they have to change the country code programmed into the truck`s PCM or ECM (I can`t remember witch one, but it doesent matter). I think you have Canada or europe set as standard country code on your truck, tell the mecanic to change the country code to USA. When USA is set as country code you have to turn the headlight switch once to turn the signal lights on, and switch over twice to turn the headlights on.
I used to work at a Dodge dealer here in Norway, and I have programmed a lot of truck`s from USA country code ( no automatic driving lights ) to Europe country code ( automatic driving lights).
So anybody can get automatic driving lights on their Dodge truck, just change the country code.

Quick Reply: automatic headlights