3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New here and new dodge owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 05:03 AM
chongo
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New here and new dodge owner

Okay - I just traded my 02 F150 5.4 4x4 Ext Cab for an 07 Dodge Hemi Mega Cab 4x4 with 17Kand Iput 305x70x17's on it the day I bought it. I have done some reading tonight through the forum and some searching as well. I am going to be doing some mods in the future and want to get things planned. First the mpg sucks - 10.62 at a half tank with 75%/25% - city/hwy - I know, what can you expect from an almost 7K pound vehicle. I am planning a CAI/Exhaust/Tuner - but first I want to look at a couple other things. I have read on the thermostats but I didn't really find where anyone posted any results. Does it hurt orimprove your mpg? Also I read one post about the power wire from Air Ram http://www.airram.com/product.php?ca...p;productid=21- one person said it was a waste, has anyone else used it? Is it worth the money or not?

Any 07 Mega Cab owners out there with mods? What have yall done and what kind of gains have you noticed?

Thanks

- Tried to post a pic but it kept saying to large - I'll try and resize later, I'm going to bed.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:21 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New here and new dodge owner

You want to do the exhaust, cai, tuner (in that order) first. You need to open up that truck to get any better mileage. Check my sig for my setup and I get close to 14 mpg with a 50/50 cty/hwy driving and I am always on the throttle. I am always running my truck hard and at high speeds. On straight hwy driving cruising at 75-80 mph, I average almost 18 mpg. Now I am in Florida and everything is pretty flat here so you should have about the same being in texas. The one thing that will kill you compared to me are the tires. I would like to go bigger, but my truck is used for work and parking in garages and at the beach are pain now as it is. Bigger tires and a lift would make parking impossible.

As far as the power wire goes, stay away from it. It is a waste of money. There are several people on here that have tried it and removed it quickly. I don't know the specifics, but don't waste your money.

The 180 T-stat works well, but if you live in North Texas where it gets kinda cold in the winter, your truck will be very cold while driving. South Texas, no questions, get it. I will be getting mine after the first of the year. BTW, I live near Miami. The one person on here that did a good write up on his install was Pappy (the caveman). He did his install and noticed changes immediately. Granted he has a Qcab, but all in all it is the same engine. Hope this helps a little and happy modding.

BTW, WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!
get those pics resized and show us your rig.......

Old 10-28-2007, 10:29 AM
lewpuckett
Professional

first of all welcome to the forum. I will try to help out with what I can. Sine you just got the vehicle I would wait on the other things and do the routine maintenance first. 17k is a few miles for some idiot to mess it up. I get in the high 17 or low 18's with mine and I have just 3k on mine.The thermostat would have to help the mpg but not tremendously. cooler engine temp,etc better mpg. also more hp. I have not personally used the wire but I have heard good things about them in the forum, and for the little money hey why not. hope these help but before i got the wire or the t-stat I would bet the CAI,tuner, and exhaust. those three will help out the mpg more than anything else except maintenance and keeping your foot out of the gas.

Old 10-28-2007, 11:09 AM
WhiteBerry
Veteran

welcome and congrats on the truck!

Old 10-28-2007, 11:38 AM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum....

Old 10-28-2007, 12:21 PM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning

Uht ohh Chongo. I don't remember the tv show that phrase came from but I think it came out in the 70's. Congrats on the Mega Cab. Welcome to the forum.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:26 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

[sm=welcomesign.gif] to the forum chongo... i may not have a megacab but i do have a 2500 so we share the same layout and pretty similar crappy gas mileage.... the first thing you should do is a good free flowing exhaust i personally reccomend magnaflow it sounds great and flows great and is a pretty straight through design. Next i would get a cold air intake... from the research i did i heard true flow was the best i could get for a hemi... i had a post about on this site no one liked it but thats alright by me i am extremely impressed by it..... now that you got everything breathing and flowing well you are gonna wana get a tuner now as far as tuners go the best one for hemi's currently on the market is the superchips flashpaq but there are many new tuners set to be released with in the next couple months.... including a diablo and an edge.. idn if the diablo will ever come out though that should have been released late in the summer...... soo good luck on your hunt and be careful once you start its really hard to stop....

Old 10-28-2007, 01:25 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker

HEY CHONGO, WELCOME...--YOU'VE LEFT THE DARK SIDE-(FORD)- WE WELCOME YOU TO THE RIGHT SIDE....

Old 10-28-2007, 01:45 PM
chongo
Veteran

Thanks for the welcome everyone - I saw the post by Pappy on the Tstat - but I must have passed over the gains he got - I am probably going to hold off on the Tstat for now and wait until spring - it doesnt really get that cold here but we tend to get a few days each winter where it gets a little chilly and ices over. I am going to be changing all my fluids here in the next week or so - front/rear diffs, transmission, motor, - what do yall recommend? Anyone using Royal Purple? I have read where some guys dealership is saying "No" to synth. but I though that synth. was pretty much standard these days.

Has anyone had problems with the gas cap sealing?Everytime I start it is beeps and reads "gascap" and then it brought the check engine light on. I took it into the Dodge house yesterday and they had to order a new gas cap and some other emissions thing said it would be in tue.- anyone had this problem? The tech said it had something to do with the new emision crap on the 07's.

I will probably be doing the 2" coil spacers in the near future also - can't stand the slant!

Also, is it the 07's that have the lifetime powertrain warranty and does that transfer since I bought it used?

One more thing - has anyone changed their plugs and wires? Notice any change?

Thanks again for the welcome and answering my questions so quickly.

Okay here it is - sitting on Maxxis Bighorns

Old 10-28-2007, 01:49 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

beautiful truck... as far as fluids i used to use mobil 1 but recently switched to amsoil and i love amsoil and i will never use a different fluid... royal purple tends to wear out much faster i have had friends use it and after 3000 miles the oil was very thinned out and didnt seem right at all.... also two inch spacers are a good idea.. makes for a better stance and an easy mod on our trucks..

Quick Reply: New here and new dodge owner