3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Newbie here - need a quick response

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 06:48 PM
GKSMITH
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie here - need a quick response

I've placed a deposit on a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT with the ThunderRoad package. (See info below). I have 2 questions I need to get answered before tomorrow AM. First, is $11K off MSRP a good price (around 25K) - they are adding a bedliner and mud flaps - which leads to question two.

I plan to add a truck cap in the near future, so if I get the bedliner would over the rail or under the rail be best?

Ok, 3 questions - what cap? ARE, LEER, other?

I've never owned a Dodge truck - I had a Dodge shadow which I was willing to drop into the ocean because I hated the vehicle. That experience left some bad flavors in my mouth that I haven't gotten rid of yet.

--------------------------------
Truck Info

Basic Information
[*]Stock Number: T10884[*]VIN Number: 1D7HU18237S264580[*]Model Year: 2007[*]Make: Dodge[*]Model: Ram 1500[*]Style Name: 4X4 Quad Cab 160.5 In. WB SLT[*]Vehicle Trim: SLT[*]Body Type: Crew Cab[*]Vehicle Type: Crew Cab[*]Bed Length: STANDARD[*]Where Built: Fenton, MO[/ul]DriveTrain
[*]Transmission: 5-Speed Automatic[*]Drive Train Type: 4WD[*]4WD Type : Part-Time[*]Driven Wheels: Four-Wheel[*]Locking Hubs: Auto[*]Transfer Case: Electronic[*]Wheels Rims: Alloy[*]Wheels Spare Rim Type: Steel[/ul]Roof and Glass
[*]Front Wipers: Variable Intermittent[*]Rear Qtr Windows: Power[*]Privacy Glass: Deep[/ul]Convenience
[*]Cruise Control: With Steering Wheel Controls[*]Windows: Power[*]Steering Power: Hydraulic Power-Assist[*]Steering Adjustment: Manual Tilting[*]Steering Wheel Control: Cruise Control[*]Mirrors: Power Remote[*]Remote Mirrors: Power Remote[*]Power Door Locks: Power With 2 Stage Unlock[*]Cupholders[*]Door Pockets[*]Overhead Console: Mini[*]Power Outlets: 2[*]Retained Accessory Power[/ul]Safety
[*]Driver and Passenger Airbag[*]ABS: Rear Wheel[*]Brakes: 4 Wheel Disc[*]Traction Control[*]Infant Child Safety Seat[*]Safety Locks[*]Headlights: Halogen[*]Headlights Auto Delay[*]Front Headrests: Adjustable[*]Engine Immobilizer[*]Turning Circle: 52.50[*]Door Reinforcement[*]Rear Headrests: 2[*]Seatbelt: Front Height Adjustable[*]Rear Center Seatbelt[*]NHTSA Passenger Grade: Excellent[*]NHTSA Driver Grade: Excellent[*]NHTSA Roll Over Resistance Rating: Good[/ul][/align]Original MFG Warranties
[*]Basic: 3 Years Or 36000 Miles[*]Drive Train: 3 Years Or 36000 Miles[*]Roadside: 3 Years Or 36000 Miles[*]Rust: 5 Years Or 100000 Miles[/ul]Suspension
[*]Independent Suspension: Independent Front[*]Stabilizer Bar: Front[/ul]In Car Entertainment
[*]Audio System: AM/FM/Satellite-Capable[*]Speakers: 4[*]Multimedia CD Location: Single In-Dash Mounted[*]Antenna Type: Fixed[/ul]Comfort
[*]Air Conditioning: Manual[*]Reading Lights: Front[*]Rearview Mirror: Day-Night[*]Shift ****: Plastic/Rubber[*]Steering Wheel Trim: Plastic/Vinyl[*]Vanity Mirrors: Passenger[/ul]Doors
[*]Rear Door Type: Tailgate[*]Side Door Type: Conventional[/ul][/align]Engine
[*]Engine Description: 5.7L V8[*]Fuel Type: Gas[*]Cam Type: Overhead Valve[*]Fuel Induction: Sequential MPI[*]Valves Per Cylinder: 2[*]Aspiration: Normal[*]MPG Automatic City: 14[*]MPG Automatic Highway: 18[/ul]Instrumentation
[*]Clock[*]Compass[*]External Temp[*]Low Fuel Level[*]Tachometer[*]Trip Computer[/ul]Seats
[*]Seating Capacity: 6[*]Front Seat Type: Split-Bench[*]Upholstery: Premium Cloth[*]Folding: Full[/ul]Features
[*]Aux Transmission Cooler: Regular[*]Engine Hour Meter[*]Vinyl Floor Covering: Carpet[*]Bumpers: Chrome[*]Door Reinforcement[/ul]Dimensions
[*]Gross Vehicle Weight Rating: 6800[*]Front Head Room: 40.80 Inches[*]Front Hip Room: 64.90 Inches[*]Front Shoulder Room: 67.00 Inches[*]Front Leg Room: 41.00 Inches[*]Rear Head Room: 40.00 Inches[*]Rear Hip Room: 64.60 Inches[*]Rear Leg Room: 36.40 Inches[*]Rear Shoulder Room: 66.70 Inches[*]Luggage Capacity: 41.00 Cubic Feet[*]Maximum Seating: 6[*]Length: 249.70 Inches[*]Width: 79.50 Inches[*]Height: 74.20 Inches[*]Weight: Pounds[*]Wheelbase: 160.50 Inches[*]Ground Clearance: 7.30 Inches[*]Max Gross Vehicle Weight: 6800.00 Pounds[*]Curb Weight: 5489.00 Pounds[/ul][/align]

Old 11-13-2007, 07:41 PM
sddunn2
Professional
Default RE: Newbie here - need a quick response

Wow I feel ripped off I bought my 1500 for 34000 with a 14500 dollar trade. the truck was listed at41000 and it is not the slt ( canadian prices). I bought it durning the employee pricing sale

Old 11-13-2007, 08:35 PM
JD1500
Record Breaker

dont feel ripped off, i have seen people run the gamit. I paid 28 for mine, not bad, not great. I have friends that have paid anywhere from 24-33k for the exact same truck, so i dont feel too bad

Old 11-13-2007, 08:40 PM
nigilram

Just got my Big horn Hemi for 26,000. they are giving these away right now

Old 11-13-2007, 08:45 PM
Brother Rob
Retired Moderator

I went over the rails, with bedliner and added a ******* bed lid. The lid is nice, however, there are hinges to the lid that protrude between the bed and the cab. If set up is not done correctly or lock downs come loose, those hinges start to chip away at the back of the cab. I don't know how Leer and other hard tonneaus are set up. Just a heads up when looking for one.

Price is par. I built a truck, online, and it came out to about the same without the mud flaps and bedliner. (This was last week, I built it for a buddy.)

Old 11-13-2007, 10:15 PM
mileshuff
Professional

There is a $6000 rebate on the 2007 1500's. Use KBB.COM to look up the invoice price and subtract $6000 from it. Aim for that figure plus TTL. 11K off sounds darn good.

Hard Tonneau covers will mount easily with an over the rail bed liner. I have the Line-X liner on mine. As for brands I'm looking for one myself. I have looked at all major brands. By far the best I found were Snugtop and A.R.E. Leer and ******* ranked low to me. Their hinge systems and locking mechanisms I found below other brands. Spend the extra $100 or so for the upper end lids. The base models often have cheap supports no matter what the brand.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:33 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the Mopar cover on mine...not cheap by any means, but if you have a somewhat hard color to match then personally it's the best way to go since they come painted from Mopar....i had a Leer on my 96 ram and it was great, never had any problems with it at all....as for a bed liner, right now i just have a rubber mat on the floor of the bed, but i'm looking at getting a Line-X liner

Old 11-14-2007, 03:06 AM
thebean
Professional

$11K off is decent. Going rate around here is $12K off.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:39 AM
hemiman4ever

first of all i turned down the bed liner and opted for the hitch in stead.i'm sure yours will have one on it already.the factory bed liner over or under rail is just going to eat away at your paint.i went with thedo it yourself herculiner kit.went on perfect and saved around 350.00.i just bought my 07 2wd reg cab sb in aug,at the time thay were offering 12500.00 off of msrp.i managed to get mine at invoice with all the rebates plus the supplemental warranty on tp of the lifetime power train warranty.it covers everthing except brake pads,hoses,belts, tires and glass.dont forget that dealer invoice does not reflect the actual price the dealer paid for the unit.also there is a 3% hold back that the dealer gets for each unit sold that nobody is really awareof unless you do your research.the dealer also gets so much $$$ for each unit sold.dont be afraid to ask to see the invoice on the vehicle.also you may not qualify for all the rebates(farm bereau,military loyalty etc,).dont hesitate to squeeze them by the nuts to get the price/payment you want.if not simply walk and i guarantee they will be calling you or better yet you probably wont leave without your truck.the mudflaps are a great addition but only cost about 29.99 a pair and take about an hour to install.like i said dont hesitate to ask/demand what you want.the worst they can say is no..if you live close enough kansas city i would highly recommend olathe dodge in olathe kansas.my truck deal was the most professional and painless dealing i have had to date.the number is 913-780-3700.ask for salesman chuck close.he is probably the most honest salesperson i have ever met.tell him jeff crim reffered you.that will be enough to make him start sweating.there sales manager is somewhat of a dick though but if you dont back down from him he folds like cheap suit.hope this helps you whatever dealer you do business with.like as mentiond beforego to kelley blue book(kbb.com)you can build one to your specs and actually see the diff between msrp and dealer invoice.also go to dodge .com and you can do a dealer inventory search of all the dealers within your immediate area and can also see the window sticker for that particular truck.by the way my truck msrp'd for around 29000.00 and i paid around 21000.00 with supplmenatl warranty.hopr this helps you out.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:34 AM
topcop38
Professional

doesn't sound like too bad of a deal, not the best but not bad. i got mine a few months ago using the employee choice pricing (have a friend that works for chrysler). with this deal there is no negotiating. chrysler sets the price and thats it. i also got the $6000 rebate so in the end my $35,060 stickered truck cost me $24,138 plus TTL. i thought that was a fantastic deal until i read that everybody seems to be getting them for that price. i really wanted a chevy so before i bought mine i took the deal to my chevy dealer and said "match this". his eyes about popped out and he told me that i better go get this truck now. he said he couldn't even come close to that. at best he could go about $29,000. i like the looks of the chevy a little better (not much) but you can't beat their gas mileage. my dads '05 2500 with a 6.0 and 4.10s gets better mileage than my '07 1500 with a 4.7. the 1500 would beat mine by 2-3 mpg.
i went with the bedrug for mine at $400 and i got an A.R.E. cap for mine and i'm happy with it. i went to a leer dealer and his prices were from $1300-2000. the A.R.E. dealer was between $1100 and $1800. i couldn't see much difference between the two so i went for the price. i got the inside liner like the bedrug material with the interior light and the flip down front slider for $1150 installed.

Quick Reply: Newbie here - need a quick response