DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech-65/)
-   -   Electronic 4WD won't engage (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/138887-electronic-4wd-wont-engage.html)

Ram4wd 12-25-2007 08:06 PM

Electronic 4WD won't engage

I have a 2006, Ram 1500 Hemi Auto with the electronic 4wd control. Truck includes the 4wd Auto mode as well as 4wd Hi and 4wd Lo plus a neutral position.

I have had the truck about 4 months, bought used, and have used the 4wd with no problems before. I have used all modes as well; 4wd Auto, 4wd Hi and 4wd lo. Today, I got into some snow up around Mt Hood OR and the 4wd system would not engage in any position.

I returned home and researched the owners manual on the correct procedures; to no avail. Since it is an "on-the-fly" system, you basically just shift in and out of 4wd so long as you are traveling below 55 mph. But today, as I stated, nothing. I can shift the transfer case into neutral, but even after trying that, I could not get it to go into any 4wd mode.

While this may still be under warranty, just wondering if anyone here has any thoughts as to the possible source of the problem.

JimmyDiablo 12-25-2007 09:24 PM

RE: Electronic 4WD won't engage

I had that problem in my 06. there is a reset button you will need something small to hold it for a few seconds. should fix your problem. I was actually stuck in sand in 2wd and needed it. I got mad when 4wd would not happen, then I seen it and used it, worked fine after that.

Ram4wd 12-25-2007 09:45 PM

Jimmy, Tanks do you recall where that reset button is located? If that is all it is that would be really great!

thanks,

darrel

JimmyDiablo 12-25-2007 09:52 PM

just on the bottom left side of the 4wd knob. the knob should be on its own little plate. it is a real small pin size button and says reset real small.

Ram4wd 12-25-2007 09:58 PM

Mine must be different. All I have on the left side is the "neutral" button. I can get the t case to go into neutral, but no 4wd modes.

Thanks.

JimmyDiablo 12-25-2007 10:04 PM

Your right, (jsut checked my truck) that is the button. try it. I think I put the truck in neutral. held it in for like 5 seconds or something like that and then it all started working again.

Ram4wd 12-25-2007 10:36 PM

I tried that. It will go into Neutral. I can hear the actuator moving, but will still not go into 4wd.

Thanks for all your help - I really appreciate it.

darrel

JimmyDiablo 12-25-2007 10:39 PM

Good luck with it. let us know what the dealer says.

Ram4wd 12-31-2007 07:41 PM

Got into dealer today, so just as an FYI for others. Truck not repaired yet, but identified Front Axle Disconnect Module as bad. The part is now on order, but will take 4 to 5 days to get in, then an install and more testing. So will be another week or two; got to juggle my days off with their service hours.

I will update when action complete.

HammerZ71 12-31-2007 07:46 PM

I had to look at six Laramies in '04 (Really wanted the leather seats. Ever try to get red GA. mud stainout of cloth?) when I bought mine to finally find one without the "Auto 4x4" button and just a good old manual stick on the floor. Didn't know for sure, but I suspected it could be something else that could go wrong. Now I know...