3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Why Hot Rod a Ram?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 11:55 AM
mfs212
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Why Hot Rod a Ram?

Well, from what I understand, Dodge (and all car manufacturers) engineer their intake and exhaust components, not for max horsepower, but with a focus on reducing noise. I am no mechanical engineer, but this seems commonsensical.

Horseapples has a point, too. I like that no one on the planet earth has a Dodge Ram exactly like mine. I also like that I can pwn rice rockets on the street, and after they blow their engine up trying to keep up with me, I can tow them to the nearest rice mechanic...

Old 01-07-2008, 11:57 AM
ride_002000
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Horseapples

Speed is addictive. Sometimes you just cant help yourself.

Speed is very addictive, so I bought a little V6 Ram 1500...HA no thats why I have a Yamaha R1 sportbike so I can hit 180mph, but I still like to get on my truck its not my bike and I dont expect it to perform like that. But its nice to see a little more performance out of it. Hence the aftermarket add ons. ITS YOUR TRUCK DO WHAT YOU WANT!

Old 01-07-2008, 12:00 PM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

ORIGINAL: MoparMan61L

Oh gosh this is gonna **** everyone off but I'm gonna say it anyway. Why do people buy Dodge Rams for speed? I mean, I have an 07 Hemi Ram and I think it is the greatest thing on the road but it's not fast and neither is any other full size truck. If I wanted to go fast I would buy a car or compact truck. I had a 2000 model Dakota standard cab with a 4.7L 5 speed and it would walk off and leave my standard cab Hemi Ram like it is sitting still. Maybe I am missing the point.
I see you have never taken a ride in a Cummins Turbo Diesel Ram!! We have some guys on here that can SMOKE a mustang or Viper and do itpulling 13000lbs behind them. Ok maybe not the pulling crap but these full sized trucks can , will and DO smoke just about any car out there. I am sure there are lots of peeps on here that would love to take you for a ride.
I know "Sharx" and "Triton" had to install Toilet Paper holders on the passenger side door just for the non-belevers like your self...
And the Hemi's ain't noth'in to roll eyes at either, some of these guys are getting some BIG power in these trucks. And I won't even mention the SRT V-10's
And as for the "very expensive and long lasting" stock exhaust? Why would you leave that restrictive HP robbing mess of tubing on there? Last long? Yes, but if you want to let the motor breath and make it sound like a truck is supose to sound, aftermarket is the way to go.
I am not flameing you, I am just answering the question you asked. This my friend is why we hot rod our Rams. And simply adding aftermarket exhaust is in no way "Hot Rodding" it. People just want what Mopar will not and can not give them, a Truck that sounds like a Truck!!

Old 01-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Midnight Runner
Champion

It's just real nice to have a fast truck.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:32 PM
MoparMan61L

I am not trying to argue, what I am trying to say isdrive Rams and various other trucks everyday at work, some with a lot of modifications. None of them have that kick you in the seat of your pants feel that my Dakota or my SRT-4 had stock, they are just too heavy. I am not saying you couldn't hook bumpers and pull either one of those vehicles all over the place with the Ram, It just seems to me if you wanted a Hot Rod you could purchase a vehicle that would require a lot less modification or none at all (Charger R/T) to haul ***.

by the way, I used to eat SRT-10 1500s for lunch in my moms Ford Tempo

Old 01-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Midnight Runner
Champion

You haven't taken a ride in the right truck yet.And i would like to see
that ford tempo.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:53 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

i dont hot rod... i off road.... and any powers good power... plus havin some get up and go is fun! and as far as exhaust goes i have stainless steel from the cat back... i think its a little better than the rusty pipe i took off... just my .02

Old 01-07-2008, 12:54 PM
MoparMan61L

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...tempopower.jpg

she cleans up great!

Old 01-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Midnight Runner
Champion

ORIGINAL: MoparMan61L

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k1...tempopower.jpg

she cleans up great!

Now that's funny.[sm=lol.gif]

Old 01-07-2008, 01:06 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For me, there really isn't a "why". I've modded every vehicle I've ever owned - only a small percentage of Grand Marquis owners have a mod list and timeslips! Except for the Marquis, of my cars have been far faster than my truck, yet I continue to mod the truck. You won't find any muffler shop junk under my truck either; it's stock until I can buy the good stuff. I realize that at my level of mods, only headers will make an improvement while a catback would be only noise.

My truck shares the driveway with a Subaru family sedan that is a great deal faster and probably puts more torque to the pavement to boot! Most people would say it's plenty quick yet I have more mods on deck. The only thing better than one money pit is having two money pits!

I hope that Tempo is powered by something like an old T-bird turbo engine or something. Their 90 horsepower doesn't usually outrun much.