3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

URGENT HELP NEEDED!!! lights won't turn off

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 07:14 PM
LBs Laramie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default URGENT HELP NEEDED!!! lights won't turn off

ok, so i just had a radar detector hard wired into my truck last week and its worked fine until today. after unplugging the unit from the hard wire last night, i walked out to the truck this am and my parking lights were on. all switches and what not were in the off position. after plugging the unit back in and turning it off with the power button, it comes back on within 10 seconds. so... there seems to be a short in the wire to the detector causing my lights to stay on... i'm guessing.so, i tried looking for where the wire connects to under the hood, so i can disconnect it, but i can't find it. i got it wired at best buy in NY as radar detectors are illegal in VA. (i'm back in VA now). so i have to pull 2 fuses just to turn the lights off in btw driving. i need to find where the wire might be connected to - PLEASE HELP!!!
THANKS!!!

Neil O.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:18 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: URGENT HELP NEEDED!!! lights won't turn off

Another reason to DIY.Your first mistake was letting Best Buy even look at your truck. However, that's water over the dam. Where is the detector? If it's near the mirror, you'll need to remove the grab bar from whatever side those idiots ran the wire and trace it to where they put it. Hopefully, they didn't butcher your wiring too badly, and you'll be able to just cut the detector loose. DO NOT cut both wires at once!! Cut one at a time, cutting the fused side on the supply end. With any luck, this will restore the other electricals to proper function. __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _ There is a four-wire harness behind the knee bolster under the steering wheel which has a switched hot (lime green with a black stripe). Perfect for powering relays, mirrors and radar detectors. In my truck, it wasn't used. Since yours is a Laramie, it may have something connected to it. No matter, it's an excellent source for switched add-on stuff, as is the cigarette lighter circuit. __________________________________________________ _________________________________________________ Any Best Buy should be able to undo what the mouth-breathers did in NY. Good luck getting any money back. That's a Best Buy creed: rip the customer off, and provide no useful service. If you need further help, send me a PM. I've been in my truck's dashboard so often, I can probably do it in my sleep. Good luck and from now on, avoid Best Buy like the plague!

Quick Reply: URGENT HELP NEEDED!!! lights won't turn off