3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
View Poll Results: A poll
New Rear Shocks
25.81%
Added Weight (bags of sand, lead, water, etc)
12.90%
Added Shell or Tonneau Cover
9.68%
Lower Tire Pressure
3.23%
Added Blinker Fluid
25.81%
Other
22.58%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

How Did You Stop the Freeway Bounce?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 07:58 PM
VP64
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

convert your truck to a longbed. and then convert the rear to coil suspension. and then air bag the whole truck

Old 09-24-2009, 03:52 PM
Hardy

I feel your pain. I live in Los Angeles and know exactly what you are talking about. I love it when people say it's the road and not your truck. If it were the road it would do it for all cars. I have an old 1982 Dodge van that rides like a dream on the freeways. In fact all my cars ride nice except the truck. My nephew has a Ford truck and it bounces the same way on the freeway. I have taken my truck back to Dodge and their response is that it performs as expected. That's a nice way of saying they f'ed up on the design and you are SOL. The only thing that ever worked, I was moving my son and all his furniture was in the back (about 1500 lbs). The truck rode like a Cadillac. I once went to Home Depot and bought 10 90lb bags of cement to test it out and it still bounced. SOmeone told me that Monroe Magnums will help and I hear a lot of things about Ranchos. I may try the Ranchos becasue they are adjustible.

It seems that people not in Los Angeles don't have this problem. Maybe it's time to move.

I will definitely post the results should I find a solution or at least an improvement.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:50 PM
slow2run

I'm on my third Ram diesel truck, That bounce is caused by the road condition,
What you can do to stop it, I don't know, but go towww.chryslergroupllc.com and each of you ask them by e-mail, when they know of the problem, then they will fix it, also they will find help for you from the Dodge Eng dept.

Last edited by slow2run; 09-24-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:53 PM
70x7
Veteran

Originally Posted by BillSchmill
I love everything about my truck but I hate to drive it to work. I live in L.A. and drive ona concrete, sectional freeway everyday (which seems to be the worst case scenario for this problem). At 65-75 mph, the vibration is enough to rattle your teeth out at times. I've read several posts about this in this forum and it seems like there are a couple of ways to solve this problem. I'd like to see some percentages on what everyone who suffers from this problem did to solve it.

If you think you had this problem and solved it, pls be specific on what you did. i.e. how much weight did you load into the bed, which shocks did you use as replacements, what tire pressures did you run, etc...

Thanks for any and all info!
EXACT SAME THING!!!!!

There is a section of freeway that at the same speeds does the exact same. Other parts of the road, it is just fine. I thought it was suspension or maybe tire balancing. Took it in and they were off a bit and Discount said one rim was slightly bent and that could be the problem. I bought new rims and tires and it didnt fix the problem one bit. I figured it was a huge problem that was fixable, but if the same symptoms are else where, seems this is a huge problem that is permanent!!!

Old 09-25-2009, 12:24 AM
Hoss356
Captain

simple fix, in socal everyone's drives 85 anyway, either that or 5mph during the 23 hours a day of traffic. Oh yeah, the fix... don't drive 65-75. J/K

I'm thinkin shocks gotta be the best route honestly.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:48 AM
OzzY04

When I bought my truck, it bounced all over the place no matter what road I drove on. I though.. D*MN... I just bought an 04 P.O.S! But then I finally decided to check my tire pressure and the tards at the dodge dealersh*t had bumped my tire pressure up to 85 psi (i guess cause they read the max on the sidewall ). Anyways... I dropped all four to 35 and now it rides so much better than my old f250 or mustang.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:12 AM
FFRANKIE

I'm going to try that OzzY04.
When I first test drove my 05 it bounced very bad at 40 mph and then stopped under or over. It turned out that there were spacers installed on the front tires ( I believe they just push the tire out some) and when they were removed it stopped.
I do see when driving on a poorly paved road the truck suspension causes a bounce. Especially when going over a transitions like a bridge or exit ramp but always figured this is how trucks ride. Like a truck
I might try the Rancho if more people post they are getting good results with it. My wife complains but she drives a Sequoia SR5
and there is no comparison with that and any truck that I know of. Besides, I like to watch her bounce a bit

Old 09-25-2009, 10:33 AM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just be glad you don't drive a ford f-350 dually. That thing is the worst on the 91. Even with the weight of 3 mx bikes and gear along with coolers, canopy. It still bounces like crazy.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:25 PM
mbaseball3
Veteran

dodge needs to make a california edition truck that'd be sweet! truck made for chitty socal roads. im sure you la guys are in the traffic as much as I am. I get bored and look at the pavement and in doing so you can see those what'cha ma call its every 15 feet or so. looks like rolling speed bumps basically. in my stupidity I've noticed a smooth ride above 80. but good luck ever getting a chance to do that

Old 09-26-2009, 05:35 PM
jonaspowers

it is possible that an alignment could be due for you. road conditions are different everywhere. try it and post your results as some others have this problem. it's tough to blame it on dodge. don't think it wasn't worked out during the design of the vehicle.

Quick Reply: How Did You Stop the Freeway Bounce?