3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
View Poll Results: A poll
New Rear Shocks
25.81%
Added Weight (bags of sand, lead, water, etc)
12.90%
Added Shell or Tonneau Cover
9.68%
Lower Tire Pressure
3.23%
Added Blinker Fluid
25.81%
Other
22.58%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

How Did You Stop the Freeway Bounce?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 07:04 PM
BillSchmill
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Did You Stop the Freeway Bounce?

I love everything about my truck but I hate to drive it to work. I live in L.A. and drive ona concrete, sectional freeway everyday (which seems to be the worst case scenario for this problem). At 65-75 mph, the vibration is enough to rattle your teeth out at times. I've read several posts about this in this forum and it seems like there are a couple of ways to solve this problem. I'd like to see some percentages on what everyone who suffers from this problem did to solve it.

If you think you had this problem and solved it, pls be specific on what you did. i.e. how much weight did you load into the bed, which shocks did you use as replacements, what tire pressures did you run, etc...

Thanks for any and all info!

Old 02-06-2008, 07:24 PM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How Did You Stop the Freeway Bounce?

I never noticed this bounce you are talking about. I would seriously look into the balance of your rear tires.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:41 PM
BillSchmill
Rookie

Been there done that. That was the first thought in my mind. Had the dealer balance them and the say that they are now although I didn't notice any ride diff. That's when I started looking here and found that I wasn't the only one with this problem.

I do notice that when I've got weight in the bed or am towing the problem is less noticable or even gone. So maybe that's the route to go. I was thinking of buying a shell anyway.

Also recently rotated the tires, no change.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:20 PM
JD1500
Record Breaker

As far as i know, you cant fix it. It is caused by the seams in the concrete, and your wheelbase. at the right speeds, everything hits just right to make it bounce. I ran into this on the way to missouri in my ford, and on the way home in my dodge..

If your talking about what i think you are anyway.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Pirata
Champion
Location: 2nd star to the right, then straight on until morning
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess you're more sensitive than I am because after a year and 25k miles as a daily driver I do not notice any bounce.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:32 PM
JD1500
Record Breaker

I only had it do it to me a few times over umteen thousand miles. I havent noticed it in the 2 years ive had my truck now...

Old 02-06-2008, 10:49 PM
BillSchmill
Rookie

JD1500 - That's exactly what I'm talking about. I read a thread where a guy was saying a very similar thing. His explaination roughly (and asI remember it) was the frame flexing and an overlap in the flex as you hit another seam before the first flex had completed. At the right speeds\wheelbase\distance beteen seams mass vibration and rear end bounce.

Pirata - Yeah maybe I'm being overly sensitive. Make this sound "AHHHHH" for about 10-15 seconds. Now while making the sound beat on chest like a pissed off ape. You hear that neat sound you're making? Sometimes the vibes have been that bad.

This doesn't happen on every freeway, but unfortunately it does on the one I commute on everyday.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:52 PM
JD1500
Record Breaker

yeah, there is no way to fix that. It's the road, not your truck.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:26 PM
sa1765
Veteran

i know exactly what you're talking about...thought it was just w/ the qc lb trucks...no one else seems to have noticed it. i bought the rancho 9000 and put them on the softest setting, it helps but doesn't fix it. people can say that it's the road and not the truck...but i've never been in another vehicle that's done it except an identical wheelbase dodge i drove while mine was in the shop (much more than it should ever be). i'm in MO also and we're not known for good..or even decent roads..but it's done it in KS, TX, and OK on different road trips. pulling a trailer or weight in the bed helped..but i could feel it still wanted to do it. when my wife was pregnant i almost had to pull over cause it was making her so uncomfortable.
if you find a cure for it....let me know cause it drives me nuts.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:29 PM
JD1500
Record Breaker

Thats why i say its the combo of the road/truck.

What will cause my QCSB to do it, may not cause your turck to do it. What will make a RCSB do it wont make a RCLB do it.

Quick Reply: How Did You Stop the Freeway Bounce?