3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Yet another wobble question..

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 07:02 PM
cmschube
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Yet another wobble question..

Hey All -

I'm interested in this "Death Wobble" phenomena, partly because I think I might have it, but I can't tell. Here's a few questions I have - and I apologize in advance, but I did search some of this but I couldn't find a definite answer.

2007 (late '06) 1500 4x4 QC

1. I have the Rancho 9000 Quick Lift Loaded on the front (which are only 1.5" lift from what I understand). Should my caster be higher than normal spec? or doesn't the 1.5" left make enough difference?

2. A lot of the stuff I read seems to have people talk about it happening at highway speeds.. Mine does it terribly from about 53-65 and then only a slight vibration over that until I hit a turn on the highway.. Right or left, it's shakes pretty bad.

I haven't gotten new tires, because well, basically, I don't want to ruin a new set until I can figure out what the problem is. I'll take the plunge when I'm sure that everything with the suspension is ok.. I jacked up my truck the other day and did the whole tie rod/ball joint test and they seemed solid as a rock. The tie rods especially because I replaced those when I put in the struts, so they're > 3 months old and had it aligned the next day. I was starting to think that maybe it's the inner tie rods? But I figured I'd see if I could get some more - expert - input.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Old 06-28-2011, 07:05 PM
xjfever
Professional

Are you sure the tires are properly balanced? Those speeds are where out of balance tires show the worst.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:15 PM
Plainbroke
Veteran

Check the track bar bushings. you can have someone turn the stearing wheel back and forth and watch the track bar on each end. My sons where SHOT beyond belief.
The new ones less than 3 months old are already starting to show some very minor signs of wear.. good stabalizer shocks as in 2 seems to help also.. Just a few things we have done that seem to help the most so far.. Oh and he put on new front shocks and seemed to help some.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:48 PM
Owensue
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The true 'death wobble' is on solid front axle vehicles only, not the independent front suspension you have. I am not denying you have a problem, just letting you know.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:09 AM
cmschube

Thanks for all the posts, guys.

xjfever - That was kind of my question about the alignment. My time are wore pretty weird on both sides, which made me think it was an alignment issue with the height adjustment from the Quick Lifts. I'll see if I can snap some picture of my tires today and post them later. After looking again, the passenger side seems to be worse than the driver.

Plainbroke - I'll see if I can't get someone to help me out with the Trackbar tonight...

Owensue - Thanks, that's why I said I didn't really know if I had it, since I didn't see much about it for my model year. The fact that independent suspension doesn't do this (in theory) makes sense...

Maybe I"ll see if I can get a vid going down the highway and post that up too..

Thanks for all the help so far!

Chris

Quick Reply: Yet another wobble question..