3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

High Speed Shake

Old 03-06-2008, 10:06 PM
AZHemiChk
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Speed Shake

So this problem has started to irritate me more lately. I bought my truck with Goodyear Eagle LS2s on it, and I'm definitely not crazy about the tires, but I can afford anything new right now. It had a high speed shake, so I had my coworker rotate and balance all four tires. Hit the freeway, and it was still shaking. I found the warranty reciept from Discount Tire (ugh, competitors!) so I went over, they balanced the tires, found that each took about an ounce. Hit the freeway again, STILL shaking. Randy (HemiRiden) suggested that it was the driveshaft that needed to be balanced. Called the dealership, they said they not only do NOT balance driveshafts, but that 02-03 half ton rams "drive like 3500's" and will always have this high speed shake.

Is there any truth to this?

Old 03-06-2008, 10:13 PM
damram1980
Professional
Default RE: High Speed Shake

i dont know if i could live with their answer of its just shaking i think its all tires, balanced corectly? how many mi on truck? im at 43,000 and its virgin tight lol

Old 03-06-2008, 10:22 PM
AZHemiChk
Rookie

ORIGINAL: ramman1980@gmail.com

i dont know if i could live with their answer of its just shaking i think its all tires, balanced corectly? how many mi on truck? im at 43,000 and its virgin tight lol
LOL. It's got 53k miles on it. The tires are pretty chopped up from the previous owner driving them for so long out of balance, but Discount doesn't seem to want to warranty them out. I really dislike these tires too...too mild of a highway tread. I'd but some Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos on there from work if I could afford it...

There's nothing mechanically wrong with the truck either. I've had it up in the air and had several people check it in addition to myself.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:28 PM
Baddog543
Veteran

I have an 02 with 95000 miles and I do not have any shakes at high speed. May want to get some things checked like shocks or your front suspension. It could be any number of things but I could not settle on someone saying that that is common.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:39 PM
bwhite757
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: AZHemiChk

LOL. It's got 53k miles on it. The tires are pretty chopped up from the previous owner driving them for so long out of balance
I think you pretty much answered your question there...

Old 03-06-2008, 10:40 PM
jm22876
Professional

I had the same problem on my 95 2500...I rotated the tires and got an alignmentand the truck shook pretty bad...took it back to the shop and thethey couldnt fix it. So i put the tires back the way they were and it got rid of the shake. I know its not a good answer... but if you dont like the tires andtheir alreadychopped up...its an idea (albeit not a good one) Someone suggested to me that maybe one of my rims was bent... because when i went very slow (3-4 mph) it felt like the truck was wobbling. Also might be worth taking a look

Old 03-06-2008, 11:00 PM
big guy
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well. I think the dealer is full of **** and is just trying to get rid of you! These trucks don't shake at high speeds. At least mine never did.When I did the 4.10 gears, I started to experience some vibrations.Asa last resortIremoved the drive shaft and hadthe balance checked. Sure enough drive line guy said I had a bent drive shaft. It took quite a bit of straightening before he could balance it. Cost me $150.00. Now this had to be bent from the factory because I never hit anything. Anyways the trucknow rides assmooth asbefore when I had the 355's in it. I'd say if youchecked everything out and are down to the tires and driveshaft. Start saving for tiresandpull the driveshaft and get it checked.If itchecks outok it will not be that much money.Then you can at least rule out the driveshaft.
Good Luck.
Dan

Old 03-07-2008, 12:05 AM
RamItOne

LOL. It's got 53k miles on it. The tires are pretty chopped up from the previous owner driving them for so long out of balance, but Discount doesn't seem to want to warranty them out.

allignment issues
ball joint
could the rotors be messed up thus having an uneven centrifugal force causing the shake
does it ever settle down once a certain speed is met?
uh maybe he really beat the **** out of it and the bead cant keep it set right (prob not)
wheel bearing issue
maybe the sidewall stiffness is not even

discout tire has road hazard warranty, keep picking up nails in the side wall.

my buddys 02 sc shakes just a bit at highway speed

good luck

Old 03-07-2008, 02:02 AM
Redram05baby

LOL. It's got 53k miles on it. The tires are pretty chopped up from the previous owner driving them for so long out of balance, but Discount doesn't seem to want to warranty them out. I really dislike these tires too...too mild of a highway tread. I'd but some Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos on there from work if I could afford it...

There's nothing mechanically wrong with the truck either. I've had it up in the air and had several people check it in addition to myself.
If I Remember Correctly, Don't You Work For Bridgestone??? Corp. At That??

And If I Am Right, Please Tell My Ex That I Can Remember Things Women Say

Old 03-07-2008, 09:27 AM
AZHemiChk
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Redram05baby

If I Remember Correctly, Don't You Work For Bridgestone??? Corp. At That??

And If I Am Right, Please Tell My Ex That I Can Remember Things Women Say
LOL oh gawd, that's hilarious. Yes I do, I'm a Service Advisor for the #1 store in the Arizona district. But even with discounts, I'm still looking in excess of $400 for tires on those damned 20" rims.

I've had the alignment checked/fixed twice. Rotors are perfect, that's another thing I checked when the truck was in the air. I'm driving this thing to Utah to see family on Saturday (ugh, Utah...cold) so maybe I'll take it to a dealership up there and just tell them to shake down the whole front end and see if they can find something I overlooked.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: High Speed Shake