3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A/C Compressor Clutch Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 04:22 PM
coby_315
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/C Compressor Clutch Replacement

I bought the truck last February and the guy I bought it from said he neverused the A/C. The belt has been replaced with a shorter belt to bypass theA/C Clutch. The compressor has not been used for 2+ years.

I really don't want to replace the whole compressor if it's not necessary.The hoses/tubing look good, the pressure checks out, and the compressor seemsbe ok, but the clutch is seized. It looks like the bearing is shot as thepulley is slightly crooked.

Does anybody have a guide or shop manual on replacing an A/C CompressorClutch on a '03 5.9L?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 01-18-2013, 06:13 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

Coby,

Go to Weedahoe's profile and download the Factory Service Manual for your. The info you are looking for on the clutch removal and install should be there. I just looked up the info for mine (2005). It doesn't look very problematic. Apparently all the clutch work can be done without recovering the refrigerant

Good Luck with it!

Old 01-18-2013, 07:51 PM
Carlos Brown
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coby_315,

The AC clutch on my 2003 2500 QC 5.7L just started making a heck of a racket! The bearing is obviously just about done, and I use my AC often. Currently, my AC is still working fine, but the clutch is about dead.

I checked around online for a replacement clutch, but did not find any! Perhaps I need to check some specialty stores...

Good luck on that replacement!

P.S. The Service Manual has "General AC Clutch" replacement info very near the rear of the manual...

Regards,

Carlos

Last edited by Carlos Brown; 01-18-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:41 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

http://www.ackits.com/

Here's one I've used in the past for repair parts, do a search, the clutches are $200 and up.
Definitely give them a call to get a line on the correct clutch and cost.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:52 AM
big guy
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had mine apart a few years ago. To take apart I believe it is only a nut and snap ring. Problem is it was all seized up. Very difficult to take apart. If you can get it apart it may just be a seized bearing. My self I would try to get that thing apart before ordering any high buck clutch replacement kits. It may just need a bearing. Or a reman may be your best option.
Good Luck

Old 01-21-2013, 04:40 PM
coby_315
Rookie

Thanks Guys. I'll look into it once it gets a bit warmer.

Quick Reply: A/C Compressor Clutch Replacement