DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech-65/)
-   -   Torsion bar Unloading Tool (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/153655-torsion-bar-unloading-tool.html)

bpv 03-22-2008 02:14 AM

Torsion bar Unloading Tool

Anyone have one of these in the Calgary area that I can borrow?

Redram05baby 03-22-2008 02:45 AM

RE: Torsion bar Unloading Tool

You Can't Just Use A C-Clamp?

HammerZ71 03-22-2008 07:04 AM

Almost any auto parts store has them for daily rental for just a nominal fee. I know for a fact that Advanced Auto has them, as I've rented one from them to do a friends level key kit on his '05 1500 4x4...

bpv 03-22-2008 11:11 AM

Hey Hammer, you've done this so do you think a big enough C-clamp will work?

HammerZ71 03-22-2008 10:55 PM

Yea, probably if you had a big one. The only time I did a level kit, I had just moved to Fl. and was back home in GA. for work. Had a buddy in a hunting club bought a kit because he didn't know about cranking the bolts. I'd cranked the bolts on two other friends trucks. Long story, short, my tools had just gone with me to Fl., so I had limited tools. Wasted an hour trying to beat the first one out, so I went to visit my buddy who's father owns a tire store (and helped me install my suspension lift). He suggested we rent the tool at Advance Auto, that's what they do on the rare occasion they need one. I can't remember what they charged, I didn't pay for it, but it must have been reasonable or I'm sure it would have stuck with me.
The right tool made it easy, like 5 mins. to get it out of there. If it's cheap, and you haveone available, I'd say, just go rent one...

caliboy@heart 12-08-2009 04:28 PM

Just pulled this post from the dead after using the search function. I just called Advanced and they said they dont have one. Does anyone have any ideas? Would a large C clamp really work? HELP!

oefootball_70 12-08-2009 04:37 PM

Have you tried O'Rileys? I know my local one has it for rent.

Albertaramfan 12-08-2009 04:46 PM

I never needed a torsion bar unloading tool when I did mine. I went the ol c clamp method. If you need advice pm me. I'm also in Calgary.

98cherryram 12-08-2009 04:50 PM

To get them unloaded a c-clamp was fine, but reloading them I had to go get another tool, it wasnt the torsion bar unloading tool, but it was a c-clamp like tool, I cant remember what it was for, its the only time I have ever used one, but it worked perfect, it was just basically a huge c-clamp that instead of have the bar through it to turn it you used a socket wrench.

jchandler21 12-08-2009 07:46 PM

i highly advise using the right tool I have seen the C clamp method end badly for some guys. Like cutting their eye and cutting really deep into their arms. The c clamp doesn't just snap it break into pieces throwing shrapnel