3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Switched to Mobile 1

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 08:21 AM
dreman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Switched to Mobile 1

Do y'all drive your trucks, or are they just lawn ornaments? Our brand new Ram, only 10 days old, already has over 900 miles on it. And that's not the truck I drive 60 miles each way to work everyday. My wife drives the Ram. She always gets the new truck. That way if the old one breaks, I'm already there!

Oh, and I went to Mobil 1 in both our older trucks, at about 100k in the old GMC I just sold, and about 40k in the Ford I now drive (her old truck). Switched both to Pennzoil Platinum last year. I sold the 1999 GMC with 283,000 on the untouched original engine, and currently have 140,000 on the 2003 Ford. No problems. Motorcraft filter on the Ford. WalMart filter on the GMC.

Any idea what oil the factory uses? I heard about the engines needing to break in on Dino oil, and switch to synthetic at 10k (or is it 30k?). I'd like to keep the same oil in the Ram that the factory uses for the first few changes before I switch.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:43 AM
RamItOne

ORIGINAL: dreman

Do y'all drive your trucks, or are they just lawn ornaments? Our brand new Ram, only 10 days old, already has over 900 miles on it. And that's not the truck I drive 60 miles each way to work everyday. My wife drives the Ram. She always gets the new truck. That way if the old one breaks, I'm already there!

Oh, and I went to Mobil 1 in both our older trucks, at about 100k in the old GMC I just sold, and about 40k in the Ford I now drive (her old truck). Switched both to Pennzoil Platinum last year. I sold the 1999 GMC with 283,000 on the untouched original engine, and currently have 140,000 on the 2003 Ford. No problems. Motorcraft filter on the Ford. WalMart filter on the GMC.

Any idea what oil the factory uses? I heard about the engines needing to break in on Dino oil, and switch to synthetic at 10k (or is it 30k?). I'd like to keep the same oil in the Ram that the factory uses for the first few changes before I switch.
well i hope you dont just park your truck once you get there, otherwise youre a moron for driving a truck that far daily.

as far as break in, i ran what came in my truck new for the first 6 or 7k miles then put in mob1 syn then amsoil.... btw do you know how many additives and **** the factory engine comes with, its a hell of a lot better that standard oil.

and whats this break in period, you can buy a new dodge, strap a 10k trailer to it and drive it cross country. its not a ****ing nissan.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:44 AM
Timmerduder
Veteran

I have a whoppin 2200 miles on mine and have had it about 2 months now.... I don't drive it to work but I do drive it about 250 miles round trip almost every weekend and some weekends like 350 if I hit the beach. I'm getting ready for my first oil change and plan on a synthetic right off the bat. I also plan on having the dealer do the first few services so i guess it depends a lot on what they have to say... I have the FULL lifetime warranty and expect to have it that long....

Old 04-01-2008, 11:46 AM
dreman
Professional

I work road construction. I would move, but next year I'll be somewhere else, so why bother. The company pays for my truck, my gas, and oil changes. My first job with them was three years at one location 15 minutes from the house we bought. Two years ago I moved to a job 50 miles form home. This year it's 60 miles from home. I'm pushing for a job closer to home, but I have to finish this one first.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:54 AM
Timmerduder
Veteran

You don't need to splain anything Luchi....

Old 04-01-2008, 06:25 PM
juanovm
Rookie

i went to mobil 1 at 500, then at 1000, then at 3000 and now at 6000; i have never had issues with it.
On my magnum I went to QS Synthec at the same intervals and never had issues with it, until the day I traded it in...it was full synthetic and mobil 1 filters.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:33 PM
RamItOne

ORIGINAL: manualagain
So the first opportunity I had to have the oil changed after I hit the 500 mile mark I went for it.
You seriously changed your oil after the first 500 miles? Your truck comes with an assload of additives in it.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:10 PM
manualagain
Professional

I don't know what additives would be better than a high quality full synthethic like mobil1. As far as an initial oil change at low milage, I've never had any problems, and seeing as a fair number of high end vehicles come from the factory with full snythetic I have no particular concerns about an early switch with mine.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:09 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

primary reason to change oil at 500 miles is to protect the hydraulic lifters

the MDS lifters in the 5.7 V8 are as complex as any ever made

Old 04-02-2008, 09:34 AM
Timmerduder
Veteran

Along with my new RAM we bought the wife a 08 Accord... they specifically say NOT to change the oil until 6K because of the additives. I specifically asked Dodge this and they said there were no additives of any importance and you could change the oil whenever you wanted....

Quick Reply: Switched to Mobile 1