3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

warped rotors again, less than 1000 miles this time

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 08:47 AM
_M_
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warped rotors again, less than 1000 miles this time

after yet another set of rotors warped with less than 30000 miles we are looking for new problems....after talking with a few others i am hearing from several people that dodge is putting out lots of bad calipers with sticking pistons.

of course dodge denies this but they are going to look at the calipers and make a determination ( which im sure will be they are not at fault) which at that point if they do come back with that i believe i will just hire a lawyer. im tired of the run around with them, but this is an issue that is taking my life into their hands when they are screwin around with brakes

anyone else look into this or have a similar problem with the pistons not sliding back?

one other question what are the torque specs for the calipers...thanks

Old 04-28-2008, 08:56 AM
dodgenitto
Record Breaker
Default RE: warped rotors again, less than 1000 miles this time

I had to have the rotors turned at 12,000 miles and then again at 22,000 miles! I now have 51,000 miles and they have been good since the last time I had them turned! lifted my truck and put new wheels on at 25,000 miles so maybe it had something to do with the limited air the stock wheels would allow to reach the brakes? Along with caliper piston problems?

Old 04-28-2008, 09:28 AM
_M_

well we will see what the stealership says and go from there, but this has all the symptoms of a stuck piston

your truck looks great btw. how much of a lift?

Old 04-28-2008, 09:43 AM
ray97
Veteran

I believe the torque for the calipers is 26lbs. Are the new rotors from the dealer also or were they aftermarket?

Old 04-28-2008, 10:25 AM
_M_

they are pep boys pro platinums.

i called pep boys to replace them under warranty...they said no because they have seen numerous dodges 06 and up come in with stuck pistons. said deal with dodge to get the piston fixed and warned me that they will deny its a problem.

so im set with the dealer friday and see what they say and go from there, but there is definitely an issue with rotors warping so quickly on these trucks. i know powerslots would prob hold up better but i think that is just masking the real issue

Old 04-28-2008, 10:41 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had zero issues with the brakes on my 05, currently at 29K. I just replaced the pads this weekend. Not because I had to, but because I wanted ceramic pads to reduce dust.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:50 AM
_M_

i wish i could say the same, but the bottom line is something is causing my trucks rotors as well as many others (a simple search on any dodge forum pulls back threads related to this issue)

the pepboys manager did say 06 and newer, not 05s.

the bottom line is something is wrong somewhere, and the dealer keeps skirting around the issue. i just want them to do the right thing and fix it under warranty as it should be.

i have purposely kept this vehicle stock as i use it for my daily driver because i put enough money in my car (a completely built mustang), i didnt need to start dropping money on the truck too. i can get bear 6 pistons at cost but i just really want the dealer to fix it

Old 04-28-2008, 09:01 PM
dodgenitto
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: _M_

well we will see what the stealership says and go from there, but this has all the symptoms of a stuck piston

your truck looks great btw. how much of a lift?
3" body, 3" in front from new torsion keys, and 3" skyjacker add-a-leaf in rear

Old 04-28-2008, 09:56 PM
demolition man

Did youcheck the operation of the rear brakes? Be sure they are doing their share of the braking first. If the front calipers are hanging up, try cracking the bleeder and see if that relieves pressure and they free-up, or if you can push the pistons in.
If the front brakes are doing more work, the extra heat can cause the fluid to expand more, not allowing the pistons to release.
Brake hoses can also cause the calipers not to release completely.
Just my $.02

Old 04-28-2008, 10:40 PM
_M_

the rear are fine.

its been bled as well. when we changed the rotors and pads this time we bled the system.

this isnt the first time this has happend. second set of rotor, i just missed the warranty window because i didnt act fast enough the first time. otherwise this would be the third set for dodge to replace and then maybe they would look for the problem rather than hiding it.

i want dodge to tell me their opinion first then i decide which way to act after that. lots of warped rotors out there...maybe this the root cause...i dunno yet

Quick Reply: warped rotors again, less than 1000 miles this time