3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Auburn installed... TrashLok was Coming Apart

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 09:12 PM
slideways
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auburn installed... TrashLok was Coming Apart

As a preventative measure i bought and had an Auburn LSD installedon my 03 1500 4x4. I was hoping it wasnt for nothing as the truck has 41k on it and i just bought it in January. My installer confirmed my fears and indeed the factory LSD was coming apart.. chunks of metal in the fluid. Since i didnt install it myself (thank god) i can give you some of the rundown he told me about the install.

It required removal of the rear wheels to pull the axles outward, the carrier bearings had to be replaced because you have to heat the Auburn unit so greatly to expand it that it was worth it to just put new bearings in. It says specifically not to use a torch for uneven expansion concerns. So he had to have a machine shop do this. But after that it went ok and everything was installed as intended.
I used Napa 80w90 gear oil with the Auburn supplied Friction Modifier... i assume this is ok..

That's all folks

Quick Reply: Auburn installed... TrashLok was Coming Apart