3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

retorqued my headers.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 11:02 PM
Romeosoldier03
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default retorqued my headers.....

got the noise to stop but...one thing I forgot to post was that I believe my muffler is "SHOT" I have a rattle when it's cold from the muffler so im guessing it's done...it's a flowmaster super 44 with almost 60K miles....so I just ordered a new one....is that wat it sounds like to u guys??? mufflers just go bad and rattle on the inside?

Old 06-26-2008, 11:39 PM
whiteonrice
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: retorqued my headers.....

Headers make their own noises especially when they are cold. It's kind of a metallic pingy sound. I love the sound of a cammed car with a nice set of headers. I don't need loud exhaust I can tell if a cars is fast without all the extra noise. Maybe the new sound your hearing is the muffler but I think it's just the ordinary sound of headers. Good luck....

Personally I hate noise like in Harley noise or annoying 4" fart cans on Civics. I don't know why people think noise equals speed. I have a 2002 Corvette with a supercharger. It has been dyno tuned and puts down 473 HP at the rear wheels. It is VERY quiet (stock exhaust) if you listen you can hear the supercharger whine. This car runs mid 11s @ 126 without any noisy obnoxious exhaust. I also have a CBR 1100 XX Honda sportbike. The bike runs mid to high 10s @ 130 it is also VERY quiet (stock exhaust). So come to think of it I guess loud exhaust doesn't bother me that much because they are always way behind me.

Rick

Old 06-27-2008, 02:59 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like either a baffle has come loose or there is old converter remnants in there. I personally would go with a Magnaflow. They flow better and are stainless so they won't rust. I had one on my F150 that I had after my Flowmaster rotted away after 5 yrs. Sounded just as good as the Flowmaster and actually made a bit more power.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:17 PM
Hemipwr07
Veteran

i havent heard of them going out. i just got my 44 put on and love it..what size tips do you have?

Old 06-27-2008, 02:15 PM
Romeosoldier03
Veteran

TIPS??? WHO USES TIPS THESE DAYS???? I JUST left it alone after the muffler....sounds sooo much better

Old 06-27-2008, 02:30 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

How loose were they? Must have been a good bit. I'd bet they didn't re-torque them after getting it hot. I didn't have to re-touch a bolt until about 3000 miles and then it was just one bolt about half a turn. Had to hit another one about 3/4 a turn at about 4200 miles. That's the only times I've found even a hint of loose bolts. At about 5500 miles now since I put 'em on.
I kinda want to install the locking header bolts that Moe's sells, but at this rate, I'm too lazy to take them all off to install new ones.
If they ever get to be more of an issue, I'll take 'em all out, replace the cheazy filter with the better Mopar one and do the locking bolts. But for now I can't justify the time or expense when they are basically a non-issue...

Old 06-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Hemipwr07
Veteran

i heard going dumbed messes with your valves cause it need the back pressure...dont know how valid that is

Quick Reply: retorqued my headers.....