3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

My New HEMI is Getting Good Milage

Old 06-20-2007, 12:33 AM
CMA
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My New HEMI is Getting Good Milage

Back and forth between work which is mostly highway and some local streets I'm averaging 19.9 mpg on the overhead with my 4x2 hemi. Averaging about 65-70mph. Only 250 miles. This is with the AC on and its about 85-90 degrees out. The highway twists and has shallow hills. I found that I can get better milage than using the cruise control. Trick is to ask very little of the motor when it is going up inclines, it will slow down some, maybe to 55-60, but when you are on the other side of the hill, get up to 75mph and coast down the other side. The MDS will kick in and if you just reset the overhead, you may see it go past 30mpg momentarily. The milage is worse with cruise control on the hills.

There is also a local country road with a posted 35, but if you go 45-50, you can keep it in the 20mpg range.

I'm hoping when it cools down, the motor is broken in, and im running synthetic, I will see 22+. Truck is not that much worse than my old car.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:44 AM
darth_laidher
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My New HEMI is Getting Good Milage

i dont trust the mpg sensor or whatever its called, because when i get in my truck to day it started out going from 9 mpg slowly down to 4 mpg then it went back up to 9 mpg about 4 hours later when i got home so i think its messed up or somethin i dunno.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:52 AM
Pappy_FB
Record Breaker

You are correct in your thinking on thecruise controland hilly areas CMA.
But the overhead is very seldom on the money. Manual calculationsare best for figurin out yer MPG.

If you can get 22 MPG (and you just may) you will be a hero among heros here.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:03 AM
CMA
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Pappy_FB

You are correct in your thinking on thecruise controland hilly areas CMA.
But the overhead is very seldom on the money. Manual calculationsare best for figurin out yer MPG.

If you can get 22 MPG (and you just may) you will be a hero among heros here.
I'm starting to believe 22 may be possible without AC with all highway. I filled it up for the first time today and am keeping a log of how many miles it had at the fillup and how much I put in. I'll only really know after a few fillups when I do the math.

I had a 4.7 rental truck for a week before buying the hemi and it got a little worse miles that the hemi on the highway because the motor had to work harder on the way up hills and it wouldnt go into MDS on the way down. But for local driving, the 4.7 is better (not good). With the hemi, get on the gas hard just once and you see the average drop 1-2mpg. Poof! Gone! But if you are patient and let the truck get up to speed slowly, local driving isnt that bad.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:10 AM
darth_laidher
Professional

i was slowly driving through a parking lot and i looked up and seen my mpg's droping fast i was like what? then wheni got on a road it went up slowly but not much.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:53 AM
FFMedic1479
All Star

Those overhead show averages, not to the moment actuals. They are good to give you a ballpark figure of how well you did on a road trip, not when you are playing around... the best way and only reliable way is to figure it out with pen and paper.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:04 AM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker

Or a calculator . BTW, I seem to get 22 mpg all the time, what seems to be yalls problems, hehe. (just joking)

Old 06-20-2007, 02:11 AM
darth_laidher
Professional

right on i'll give it a try sometime.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:58 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

Cummins Diesel, I get 28 miles per gallon. Or is that every gallon and a half. that that is more like it.

Old 06-20-2007, 11:14 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I get 9.8 on averagein my SRT and proud of it

Sad to say I did get 18.5 on a 450 mile trip with it though......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My New HEMI is Getting Good Milage