3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

30k mile maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 11:41 AM
DRSDodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 30k mile maintenance

Hello everyone. I just bought my first truck. It's an '06 RAM 1500 SLT 4x4 V8 4.7L 4dr quad cab short bed Big Horn with 31k miles. Damn, that takes one hell of a breath to say all that...good thing I'm typing instead. [sm=icon_blah.gif]Here are a few pictures of my silver chariot. But my question is, what easy 30k mile maintenance can I do at home since taking it to the shop will cost a pretty penny since I just spent it on the truck. I still have 5k miles left on the factory warranty and plan to take it in and spend the $100 for an inspection at the dealershipbefore the warranty is up but I have a feeling they will just say "it's fine" and $100 down the drain. Any recommendations?

Name:  Truck1.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  43.9 KB

Name:  Truck2.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  44.5 KB

Old 07-21-2008, 12:24 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies
Default RE: 30k mile maintenance

nice ride, and welcome to DF!

if you have a manual it's all in there.

spark plugs are recommended at 30k, but most of us go significantly longer with them, 40k, 50k, some much much more. the 30k service is really just a checkup to make sure everything is in order, and to replace fluids. trans fluid and coolant might need to be replaced. i'd do the trans just so you knwo for sure when you got it done, but no real hurry. check the coolant, it's pretty easy to tell if it's still good.

and the usual: check hoses and belts, if it's running good i wouldn't even bother checking the throttle body and the pcv valve.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:39 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

30K also means front (if 4x4)and rear differential lube, many over look these when someone says change/check fluids.

The items can be done on a weekend day easily at home.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:00 PM
DRSDodge

ORIGINAL: 94rt10ohio

30K also means front (if 4x4)and rear differential lube, many over look these when someone says change/check fluids.

Test.

Edit. I keep getting Internet Page Cannot be Displayed when attempting to post. Then it finally works. Pasting in a post does not seem to be working....WTF.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:37 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: DRSDodge

ORIGINAL: 94rt10ohio

Test.

Edit. I keep getting Internet Page Cannot be Displayed when attempting to post. Then it finally works. Pasting in a post does not seem to be working....WTF.
Welcome to Dodge Forum. This is mostly normal. Same for Mazda Forum and Chrysler Forum. Many times you'll find you're also penalized for daring to post. Every response will be "... your problem, not ours."

Old 07-21-2008, 09:46 PM
jonnymagnum
Grand Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome to the forum. and nice truck

Old 07-21-2008, 10:04 PM
DRSDodge

Ok, since I cannot cut and paste from the E-mail I sent from work to home so I could post this after work, I will retype it...[:'(]

In regards to the differential maintenance, is there both a fluid AND gear lubricant? Maybe I am dead wrong, but through my understanding if this is the case, the fluid is changed all at once and the lube is just an additive to lube the gears until a full changeof thedifferential fluid is needed. 75w-90 for the front and 75w-140 for the rear...right?

I plan on just emptying the tranny pan and refilling as needed and will do a full flush at about 45k-50k miles. Does anyone think that's a bad idea?

I am also taking it in for an oil change to a Goodyear Gemini and since I have factory Goodyear tires on it, they will rotate them for free. Normally I would change the oil myself but since the tire rotation is free, I will just have them do it at every oil change.

I hear the Champion iridium spark plugs seem tobe a truck owner's choice. Is this the case and do you think it is a good time to put them in if so?

Lastly, has anyone head of the Green Machine Fitch Fuel Catalyst by krystal planet? It supposedly improves MPG by up to 20% each month by inducing a chemical reaction with fuel molecules ultimately increasing their potency. Anyone heard of these?

Quick Reply: 30k mile maintenance