3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Increased TQ under 2000k RPM's

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 01:08 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Foreverunstopable
After looking at all my options, I'm not going to undertake the headers quite yet. Thank you for all the information, it helped me to decide I will go the standard route. I'm now deciding between the Volant or Ram Hammer intakes, Magnaflow duals or Gibson super truck, and will get the SCT. Mostly for the reason Dodge dealerships across the board see these modifications everyday, the cam would be a hard fight in the long-run if something happened even in spite of a correct installation. I will be dynoing the truck after every modification and taking MPG readings and will be sure to post my results. I do expect the small loss of Torque at the low RPM band, but you never know, I may be pleasantly surprised to find otherwise, even if its a long shot.
Find the right guy to write the tunes for the SCT (they ship blank) and you won't lose any low end...
BTW: My local dealership voids your warranty if they find evidence of a "custom tune" but not if they see a "canned tune". Not trying to sway you, but just giving you a heads up...

Old 08-19-2008, 01:16 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm glad to know they have the broad authority to decide unilaterally what voids a warranty or not, without regard to silly things like federal law and proof that it caused the problem. I'd have a field day with them.

Well, that and I also realize that by screwing with my truck, anything I do break is my fault and I wouldn't change it all back to stock and try to trick them into fixing it.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:39 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by John M
I'm glad to know they have the broad authority to decide unilaterally what voids a warranty or not, without regard to silly things like federal law and proof that it caused the problem. I'd have a field day with them.

Well, that and I also realize that by screwing with my truck, anything I do break is my fault and I wouldn't change it all back to stock and try to trick them into fixing it.
Actually, I'll clarify my above post. If it's a power train issue and they see a "custom tune" they will investigate the cause much more closely and will fight you tooth and nail if they can come close to associating the problem with anything the tune could possibly do to cause it. If it's a canned tune like a Superchips, they never give it a 2nd thought.
However, there are many different ways to interpret Magnuson/Moss. Parts/Service and I had a pretty good debate on this a while back because he & his dealership don't particularly believe it pertains to vehicles, or at least to the degree that I do...

Old 08-19-2008, 02:01 PM
Foreverunstopable
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will go with the Superchip then. On the cam, its not that I wouldn't mind doing it but I would assume if the end user modified an internal component like a cam shaft that you could have a very good reason to void internal engine damage even if the cam wasn't a direct result. I know the MDS is not the best for a number of reasons but I would not want to give Chrysler any ammo. If its sealed at the factory and stays that way what can they really say against a claim. I know the thread is getting off topic, just didn't seem pertinent to start a thread pertaining to warantee's over internal engine modifications.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:47 PM
sschevy400
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HankL
Retarded ignition timing
will be most felt in the 1500 to 2000 rpm range
where is shows up as reduced torque.

Since the 5.7 has dual spark plugs
it might be worth considering
to remove one of the oem Champion plugs from each cylinder
and replace it with an iridium tipped sparkplug
with a very large gap,
say 0.060 to 0.080 inches

The tiny iridium center tip
should be able to fire such a large gap
and the iridium should keep the gap from growing with age.

The longer spark on one plug
might increase combustion speed
without causing misfires
and improve low rpm torque

You could also use the 8 oem plugs
to 'index' your remaining 8 oem plugs' gaps
to the best orientation
where the ground post only blocks the flame path
either toward the center
or toward the outside wall
leaving all other paths open
to encourage fast combustion
Are you 100% sure????

Ive always known it to be that retarding will give you mushy bottom end and advancing gives you a crisper bottom end.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:34 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep, advancing the timing will increase low end power. Also, two mistimed flame fronts will cause major detonation. Not Good for head gaskets and pistons.
A good tuner (like the Predator if ever released) will give gains in the low rpm dept. It did on my 01 Ford, by advancing the timing and eliminating the tip-in retard. They are well wroth the money. Lower gears as mentioned will help as well, but may hurt highway MPH.

Last edited by lxman1; 08-19-2008 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:34 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Both the original Dodge 5.7 Hemi dual plugs (wasted spark system)
and Mercedes V8 dual plug firing systems
were designed not to fire the two sparks
at exactly the same time
to promote turbulence and faster burn in the combustion chamber.

As many know here
Dodge originally try to bolster this effect
with 2003 5.7 Hemi unequal length ignition wires that crossed over,
but then gave up on that
for cost of extra wire reasons

It is not bad
to have the sparks at slightly different times,
it is good

Old 08-20-2008, 12:15 PM
John M
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
However, there are many different ways to interpret Magnuson/Moss. Parts/Service and I had a pretty good debate on this a while back because he & his dealership don't particularly believe it pertains to vehicles, or at least to the degree that I do...
I agree it's fair to more closely inspect any time someone was using a custom tune, and it's actually a pretty good move to "ok" any of the canned tunes as they're always on the safe side.

I'm not surprised any dealership rep would disagree on the M/M warranty act. Having sold cars, it doesn't surprise me one bit that dealership management would somehow think it didn't apply to them even when there is plenty of evidence to the contrary.

People are usually sheep and will blindly accept it when they're told their warranty won't cover it. Some may threaten a suit but never follow through with it. On the other hand, I am just as hard headed and if I believe I am in the right, you can bet I'll see it to a proper conclusion.

As I said before, I also believe just as strongly in the "if you break it, you pay for it" policy too. It's not just words either - I blew the turbo in my car twice and never asked Subaru to pay for it. (After the second one, no more stock parts - it's now all aftermarket) Too many people put all the stock parts on and try to claim it under warranty. A warranty is not a "get out of jail free" card and shouldn't be treated as such. By the same token, I will laugh if somebody says my intake means my rear diff won't be covered if it blows up due to a LSD clip issue.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:24 PM
John M
Record Breaker

Oh, and to the OP --

Try recalibrating the throttle to make sure it is working properly. The most common result is far more power off idle. It's easy and only takes seconds. You may find the power you're looking for.

See the post from another thread here for exact instructions.

Quick Reply: Increased TQ under 2000k RPM's