3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

v6 Peformance Mod's, What can be done?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 08:03 PM
Twink
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default v6 Peformance Mod's, What can be done?

So ive had my 07 dodge ram 1500 for about 5 months now. im 19 years old and im busting my *** to make payments and all i want is MORE outta this motor. I originally bought the v6 because after previously owning a 5.9L HO Cherokee on Nitrious i felt like i needed something better on fuel.

Anyway so the 3.7L v6 Runs what about 230 ish hp?

I have done a cold air intake, a highflow cat and a magnaflow exhaust catback kit ( y pipe back ).

and a posi trac kit

It runs pretty good, i can churp the tires all the way into 4th and i love this thing to death but now its the NEXT STEP. Im not sure what this motor is capable of or what type of power, because i know nothing about this 3.7L.

I cannot find any Vortech Supercharger kits and ive also considered a custom turbo setup.

For the price of a supercharger, around 3800$ i was wondering if it would almost just be cheaper to build a 350? or a stroker and put it in its place..

Let me know what ya'll think or if u have found anything on the web that might give me some ideas of perforamnce.

i know that the hemi is probally more efficient for power but i also wanna be different with running a v6 against the hemi's.

Cheers.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:37 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

i believe the stock 3.7 puts out 215 stock. but thats not to the wheels. it might have 160-170 to the wheels.... well you could try to find some cams,ported heads, throttle body ( not spacer the whole thing) do a efan ( which will free up alot of power). that should gain you a good amount of extra power right there. im not sure if they make headers for the v6 yet but you could do that too.... at the top of this page there is a v6 devoted page check it out maybe you can find some better info there.....

Old 12-15-2008, 08:42 PM
red06RAM
All Star

JBA makes dodge v6 headers. Check the V6 section for more info.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:42 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not trying to be a total d1ck or anything... but if you are "busting your *** to make payments" then why are you looking at spending $3800 on a turbo or building up and dropping a new motor in? just seems irresponsible to me. im not trying to tell you how to spend your money or anything, but think about it for a sec. wouldnt it be nicer to have a paid off truck rather than a money pit you can barely afford the payments on?

just my opinion

Old 12-15-2008, 08:53 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

id rather have the money pit haha... i can afford my payements no problem and mod here and there but i would rather drop a few hundred here and there on mods than use that towards an extra payment that month haha. modding my truck is way more fun than paying off my truck faster.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:06 PM
Twink
Veteran

Originally Posted by nickahern1
id rather have the money pit haha... i can afford my payements no problem and mod here and there but i would rather drop a few hundred here and there on mods than use that towards an extra payment that month haha. modding my truck is way more fun than paying off my truck faster.

ya i agree. I didnt mean busting my *** to make payments, i make them easily but i just wanna spend money into my truck. Ive never owned a new vehicle and i finally got someting nice i wanna put the time + money into.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:13 AM
7mmmag1
Professional

efan, jet chip, airram sells ported heads, gears, ported throttle body, some talk of somebody doing a supercharger, or an efi nitrous kit are you options as far as I have found

best way would probably be to buy something with a V8, but the V6 is more unique (as if anybody cared) lol

Old 12-17-2008, 01:52 AM
Grey-Ghost
Professional

airram.com has the parts to tune it up i've done the math with adding a efan,cai,exhaust,headers,tuner,underpulley,and the jetscoop,and powerwire,spark plugs comes to $1845 and is more expense then dropping in the hemi and better 5sp transmission which i've seen on ebay for $1500 and u still get more power out of the stock hemi them the tuned v6 which is at about 313hp at the crank were the hemi is 345hp and if u really wanta spend u can also get heads economy head just ported $974 race prepped with new valvetrain $1499 from airram and use 4.7 high performance rods $657 and pistons $789 thats for 8 rods and pistons so u may be able to work with nick on only getting 6 of each and they would work because the 3.7 and 4.7 are the same motor with the v6 being just 2 cylinders taken off and dont forget coilpacks for those better spark plugs and with all the heads and stuff your looking at spending $2932 and thats with the deal on the rods and pistons w/o supercharging it with u would need to build up the motor anyway and u could get a custom ground cam as well for $300 or more

Last edited by Grey-Ghost; 12-17-2008 at 02:02 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:29 PM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

i've got quite a bit done (see sig). eventually, i'm gonna get some top/bottom end work done.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:59 PM
cramerica
Record Breaker

I love that Grey-Ghost edits his posts.

Quick Reply: v6 Peformance Mod's, What can be done?