3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Odering gears have ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 10:39 PM
disturbedgator
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odering gears have ?'s

Ok im ordering my gears tomorrow, sweet talked the wifey into it. I have decided to go 4.56 before my 35's are put on. Questions are:1. i have a 4x4 and can i change the rear end before the front as long as i dont go into 4wd? Or should i change them at the same time? 2. i have no lsd in the rear end, do i have to get one or can run like open with the 4.56's? i CAN order these all at once tomorrow, but i will have to wait for install for a long time if i get three items. ive had a local shop tell me they would install the gears for around 270-300 if i remember right.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:50 PM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by disturbedgator
Ok im ordering my gears tomorrow, sweet talked the wifey into it. I have decided to go 4.56 before my 35's are put on. Questions are:1. i have a 4x4 and can i change the rear end before the front as long as i dont go into 4wd? Or should i change them at the same time? 2. i have no lsd in the rear end, do i have to get one or can run like open with the 4.56's? i CAN order these all at once tomorrow, but i will have to wait for install for a long time if i get three items. ive had a local shop tell me they would install the gears for around 270-300 if i remember right.
You really SHOULD install both the front & back at the same time. If somone accidentally puts it into 4WD your DONE!

You dont need a POSI rear diff... BUT with 4.56's you will wish you did have a POSI/TRUE TRAC diff. So yes you SHOULD opt for an aftermarket Differential like the Auburn or Detroit True trac.... check out our site for the best prices & free coast to coast shipping.

So if I where you I would purchase 4.56 gears for both the FRONT & BACK with an aftermarket carrier and install kits. Ask your installer which install kit he needs... Since he is the one backing the work up you should get what he request.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 11-17-2008, 12:12 AM
disturbedgator
Captain

awww man, dangit, looks like another month before i have them in than!

Old 11-17-2008, 01:09 AM
AIR RAM
All Star
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by disturbedgator
awww man, dangit, looks like another month before i have them in than!
Trust me it will be worth the wait and everything you put into it! You will completely LOVE your truck all over again... I would not be surprised if you spent the first few nights sleeping with her!... Yeah its that good!

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Old 11-17-2008, 09:34 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't even think about doing the back without doing the front, and if you don't get an LSD now, you are just going to have to pay labor all over again (plus diff fluids, rtc, etc) when you do have it put in. Wait until you can and do the whole job at one time...

Old 11-17-2008, 01:38 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

AIR RAM - what is your site?

Old 11-17-2008, 01:44 PM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick Reply: Odering gears have ?'s