3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Standing water in under seat storage

Old 11-06-2008, 03:04 PM
Fyparr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Standing water in under seat storage

Hi all, new to the forums, and proud owner of a mineral gray 08 quad cab hemi 2wd with almost 1,200 miles on it now. Ive been reading posts and hanging around for awhile, like the site a lot. The truck has been good to me thus far, minus a shotty passenger door speaker (TSB), as well as Sirius cancelling my subscription after only two months of ownership (will be taken care of). However, I made a very interesting discovery yesterday which brings me to my first post:

On Wednesday I went to vacuum the interior, and when I lifted the rear seat, I noticed about a half inch of standing water in the storage space on the driver side. There was no trail of water, just a small pool, with the formed capert being damp around the pool (as if the pool had drained an inch). Ended up soaking up as much of the water as possible with a towel, put a fan on it and left the windows open to dry it out. Its sunny now, but Im still keeping an eye on it.

It rained Sunday through Tuesday, but I have never left a window open (even if I did I dont know how the seat would not be wet, but there would be a pool of water under it). I noticed that there are two plugs under the rear cab of the truck (similar to the ones in the floor of the bed), and the one closest to the side of the truck with a blue gasket was loose. Wondering if this is the culprit, but have a hard time believing water could collect up through this hole.

Wanted to see if anyone else has encountered this problem, as well as give others a heads up. I didnt buy a new truck to work on it, so its going to the dealer on Monday, hoping to get this straightened out before the rain starts coming down. Will keep you posted.

Thanks

Old 11-06-2008, 07:15 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you sure your rear slider was never left open?

Old 11-06-2008, 07:30 PM
morepower29
Professional

I know 100% what it is. It is the vents in the back of your cab. the exact same thing happened to me las winter. I had the dealer fix it. didn't cost me anything. not hard to do though you just have to take the seats out and get the vents to pop in correctly

Old 11-06-2008, 09:31 PM
flwalks
Professional

Back windows a notorious for leaking around the frame seal. My 02 leaked there and I think my 97 did to?

Old 11-06-2008, 10:55 PM
DodgeThunder
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my back window had been leaking lately and i found a 2 inch puddle under my seat the other day so thats most likely what id say your problem is

Old 11-06-2008, 11:00 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

About your subscription. Did you buy a dealer demo? If so, the saleman must have activated the subscription! I see you said you only have 1200 miles on it but that's all I can think of. Just a thought

Old 11-06-2008, 11:41 PM
Fyparr
Thumbs up

Thanks for all of your input. 94rt10ohio, confident the rear slider wasnt open, I never use it. Sounds like it is either the window or the vents. I didnt notice anything else being damp so what should I look for? It seems like the area between the back of the seat and cab would be drenched. Is there a way I can test either of these things, such as taking a garden hose to the rear window, or should I just hope that the dealer figures it out?

dirtydog - I bought the truck from Folsom Lake Dodge in California, and it came with a 1 year free subscription to Sirius. My dad had purchased a new Ram several weeks before at another dealer, and co-signed on mine. One day they turned his radio off and when he called in Sirius said they had the wrong ESN for his truck. Turns out the wrong ESN was the one to my truck, so as soon as his was reactivated mine was cancelled. Its all straightened out now, and both of our satellite radios work. I guess having two ESNs under the same name confused them (although I'm unsure as to why they prematurely cancelled his subscription in the first place).

Old 11-15-2008, 12:44 AM
Fyparr

Follow up: Service rep said he has seen a lot of these, and judging from others on here Dodge is still figuring out how to install a leak-free window. Got the truck back on Wednesday (11/12) with a new rear window and fresh seals. Service rep said the leak was in the rear sliding window seal. Added some scratches to my trim when they took the seat out, as well as some RTV stains to my carpet but I'll live with it. Lost the new car smell to RTV stench as well. They didnt test it because the sealant wasnt dry, and it has yet to rain so we'll see if it holds up.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:39 AM
sos
All Star

They scratched your trim and left RTV on your rug and you're ok with that on a brand new truck? I would take it back and make them fix it! After paying over $20k for a new truck I wouldn't accept anything less than perfect.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:03 PM
Fyparr

Washed my truck this weekend, water got all over the rear seat. Drove it back to the dealer today for attempt number two at resealing the window. Talked to the service manager about cleaning my carpet and replacing the damaged trim, he said it would be taken care of on top of apologizing for the inconvenience of this whole matter. Also loaned me an 08 ram 4.7 QC through Enterprise without me asking. Hopefully the second time is the charm...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Standing water in under seat storage