3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

signal lights flashing fast

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 09:06 PM
Gonzo6_7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default signal lights flashing fast

I have a 2008 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7l
I've been having power loss after 8 hours of sitting. something has been draining the battery. I took it into a shop to be looked at. they did some stuff to it and said the draw went away. I had them hold the truck over night to be sure. the next day the signals stopped work. they told me it was the TIPM. it was defective. So i changed the TIPM and the signal issue didn't resolve itself.

so long story short. after a couple days of following wires and checking powers and grounds and switches and what not. i found that the pin for the signal lights in the connector on the back of the cluster was put in the wrong hole on the connector. moved it to the proper hole. now the signals work but they flash really fast. while i was in behind the cluster i replaced a butt connector that i thought might be causing an issue. when i did that the wire broke closer to the connector. so i added a couple inches of wire to the line so that it would reach the other end without being super tight for space.

i'm wondering if maybe the extra length of wire i put in is causing a faulty resistance signal within the signal light circuit.

anyone input would be appreciated.

Old 12-23-2019, 09:09 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 573 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Gonzo6_7
I have a 2008 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7l
I've been having power loss after 8 hours of sitting. something has been draining the battery. I took it into a shop to be looked at. they did some stuff to it and said the draw went away. I had them hold the truck over night to be sure. the next day the signals stopped work. they told me it was the TIPM. it was defective. So i changed the TIPM and the signal issue didn't resolve itself.

so long story short. after a couple days of following wires and checking powers and grounds and switches and what not. i found that the pin for the signal lights in the connector on the back of the cluster was put in the wrong hole on the connector. moved it to the proper hole. now the signals work but they flash really fast. while i was in behind the cluster i replaced a butt connector that i thought might be causing an issue. when i did that the wire broke closer to the connector. so i added a couple inches of wire to the line so that it would reach the other end without being super tight for space.

i'm wondering if maybe the extra length of wire i put in is causing a faulty resistance signal within the signal light circuit.

anyone input would be appreciated.

Before you do anything else, check your bulbs. Fast flashing is what the truck is designed to do when a bulb is burned out of has a bad connection. It can be other things, but that's the fastest and cheapest to look at.

Old 12-24-2019, 11:36 AM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

Not sure if its the same problem, but I had a TIPM replaced under warranty on a 2011 Grand Caravan. The replacement required re-pinning the connector for a few wires, and they shop didn't do that. Caused issues with the turn signals flashing too fast. A sheet was included with the new tipm with instructions on the swap - which they obviously ignored. Here is the thread I started on that one...

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...this-week.html

Old 12-24-2019, 12:43 PM
Alex Medeiros
Captain
Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Before you do anything else, check your bulbs. Fast flashing is what the truck is designed to do when a bulb is burned out of has a bad connection. It can be other things, but that's the fastest and cheapest to look at.
I was also gonna say check the bulbs. My father had a very similiar issue with one of the computers in his truck. Not sure if it was the TIPM though...

Quick Reply: signal lights flashing fast