DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech-65/)
-   -   What is wrong with BFG All Terrain KO'S? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/180144-what-is-wrong-with-bfg-all-terrain-kos.html)

duckhead 11-16-2008 06:36 PM

What is wrong with BFG All Terrain KO'S?

My Ram 1500 QC 4x4 will be in need of replacement tires within the next 10K miles or so. A lot of trucks in my neck of the woods seem to be rolling on BFG AT's. So I did some online research and found many negative reviews concerning this tire. I was surprised since this seems to be a popular tire, plus it is pretty costly. However since reading so many negative reviews due to excessive road noise, tire wear and poor performanc ein even the slightest mud or snow, I am now reconsidering and have started looking at the Michelin LTX AT2 (P285/55R20) as replacements for the OEM Goodyear Wranglers.

What's your opinions?

jonnymagnum 11-16-2008 06:51 PM

mine are wearing down sooo fast

CarGuyOhio 11-16-2008 06:59 PM

I had a set on a Ranger, they worked great for that application.

duckhead 11-16-2008 08:57 PM

jonnymagnum, how many miles you got on your BFG's now?

RaiderJay6 11-16-2008 08:58 PM

I run them for the winter and have never had a problem with them.

velocity37000 11-16-2008 09:40 PM

On my ram alone I have had the stock goodyear garbage the super swamper radial, and lately the bfg at's. they are the best tire i have ever had on any truck i have owned wear is awesome they hum a tiny bit on the highway but not enough to detour u from buying them and they are unreal in the snow.

HammerZ71 11-16-2008 10:33 PM

Take a serious look at Mickey Thompson ATZ's in an all-terrain. I've been running nothing but Mickey Thompson or Dick Cepek (basically the same company) tires for about 12 years or so now and have never had a set wear out before getting rid of the truck. All have been great performers too...

jankerson 11-17-2008 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by duckhead (Post 1455270)
My Ram 1500 QC 4x4 will be in need of replacement tires within the next 10K miles or so. A lot of trucks in my neck of the woods seem to be rolling on BFG AT's. So I did some online research and found many negative reviews concerning this tire. I was surprised since this seems to be a popular tire, plus it is pretty costly. However since reading so many negative reviews due to excessive road noise, tire wear and poor performanc ein even the slightest mud or snow, I am now reconsidering and have started looking at the Michelin LTX AT2 (P285/55R20) as replacements for the OEM Goodyear Wranglers.

What's your opinions?

They are so very over rated, very over priced, but not really loud. Every single person I know that has tried them on either 4x4 or 2wd and has been off roading has replaced them with some other tires. They really aren't that good off road compared to some other tires that cost $40 to $80 less per tire. I have run them before and I wasn't impressed at all for the money I spent on them. I really don't think they are worth $200 a tire, maybe $120 a tire because my Definity Dakota AT's I got from Pep Boys are a much better tire IMO. A $200 tire should be pretty much perfect all the way around and they aren't. What I mean is for $200 a tire they should be bringing me coffee in the morning.

Some people swear by them, but I believe they are just following the crowd per say.

Opinions will vary though. LOL

dirtydog 11-17-2008 12:26 AM

Overrated, Overpriced and I'm not a fan of the tread pattern. I have used them and honestly, My Hercules Terra Trac At's were better in every aspect. My old truck had them on and a buddy offered me some good money for them. I couldn't refuse because I could get the Terra Tracs for $104 mounted balanced. 265/70/16's though on my silverado. I just wasn't impressed with the BFG's, not as good in the rain or mud compared to the Terratrac's, but comparable in the deep snow.

Also, my buddy who I sold them to had the Mickey ATZ's and those wore out within 20kmi. He rode on the BFG's for 20kmi and still had 1/2tread. Another friend only got 25kmi on the Mickey ATZ's. Nice aggresive tread pattern, but too soft compound and a little loud.
My Terra tracs went 30kmi and still had 1/2tread then I sold the truck for the Ram

6 hemi ram 11-17-2008 07:18 PM

i have them on my Ram. i like them, they are a fine tire. they are only marginal offroad but that is because they are an A/T tire. they have three ply sidewall which most tires cannot claim. this gives them great handling as well as puncture resistance. they are also E rated so they can handle alot of weight. the road noise is basically nonexistant.

as far as wear, they do seem to wear faster than i expected. i have 20k on them now and they are about 60% worn maybe 70%. i just replaced tires on the wife's Rubicon with goodyear MTRs. they are mud terrains with aggressive tread and medium road noise. they are three ply sidewall as well but with the added bonus of Kevlar lining. they are priced comparable with the BFGs but she was able to get 40k out of them.

the only thing i can say i dont like about the BFGs is wear, but they are soft and when aired down grip rocks really well. if you play in mud then get M/Ts.