3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ABS/brake light on with speedometer problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 03:43 PM
robram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS/brake light on with speedometer problem

hey all

I just got finished replacing the ABS/speed sensor on my 04 dodge ram. I have had the abs/brake light on and the speedomter has been messed up for awhile. I got in and started the truck and the lights are still on. So I disconnected the battery for a min. to reset but its still on. Can anyone help me out? If you need more information or have an idea, please email me at robertwinchell@yahoo.com.

Thanks

Old 11-26-2008, 06:48 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

You need to leave the battery unhooked for more than a minute to reset. More like 1/2 hr.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:28 PM
robram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told that leaving the battery unhooked doesnt work. Ill try it tommorrow and let you know

Thanks

Old 11-27-2008, 02:20 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I take it that it's you rear ABS sensor right???
If not, this still applies when you replace the ones in your front hubs if fitted.

When you have re-set the computer by leaving your positive battery pole disconnected with all your headlights and hazzards left on to bleed off any residual current etc, switch everything back off BEFORE re-connecting your battery.
Then, start her up.
She will run rough for a few minutes as the PCM re learns the air/timing/fuel etc.
At this point you will STILL SEE the ABS and brake light on.
When the trucks idle has settled down, you must move either forward or reverse for 20 meters or so, before the lights will go out as the PCM has to look at/interogate the new rear/front ABS sensors.
I had to do all this, when I re-installed my complete rear axle after a Detroit TruTrac LSD upgrade.
Hope this helps?
Al.
P.S if your still getting errors on your ABS/brake light, it might be time to re check your diff ABS sensor is plugged in tight and possibly pull the pumpkin and check your toner ring hasn't lost teeth or something???

Last edited by abarmby; 11-27-2008 at 02:27 AM.

Quick Reply: ABS/brake light on with speedometer problem