DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech-65/)
-   -   Wind Noise - Door Seals? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/181781-wind-noise-door-seals.html)

osufans 12-03-2008 03:48 PM

Wind Noise - Door Seals?

I did a quick search, and it appears my problem may be due to a bad design, but I didn't see if there was a known remedy.

I get real bad wind noise at highway speeds. Sometimes it seems as if my doors are flappin' in the wind, the seals are so loose!

Is there an adjustment to make, or do I need to get replacement seals? Or am I just stuck with it?

Thanks,

Matt

jstmahoney 12-03-2008 04:44 PM

Do you have the defectors on the doors?

osufans 12-03-2008 04:59 PM

Yes, but the noise was there before. I was hoping they would help. It appears to be the "shark fin" issue I have seen on a couple of archived posts. The door frame sticks up above the door seal, catching air as I drive, which makes it sound like air is whooshing thru the seal. If I pull the top of the door frame tight into the cab as I'm driving, the sound goes away.

Lowlygovemployee 12-04-2008 03:36 AM

I test drove a 2008 QC for the weekend, and it did the same thing. I talked to a service manager friend of mine he said a lot of Dodges have that problem. You don't want to know how they fix it. lol (he said they bend the top of the door until it goes away)

CarGuyOhio 12-04-2008 08:32 AM

I doubt the faulty door seals are the cause of the noise. 05 and back had a design flaw. Open your door, pay close attention to the corner of the door where the front fender and black part of your front cowl meet. As you open it that corner will catch the seal and tear it eventually (yours is probably already is torn). There is a new seal that prevents this and was covered under warranty which is probably up on your truck.

Whiteout08 12-04-2008 08:42 AM

I notice the same noise on my 08 1500, it's coming from the mirrors. The "fold in" design of the mirrors causes a gap to be between the mirror itself and the mirror base....that gap when hit with mid-to-high velocity air will whistle. Possible I'm straying from what you are talking about, but that's where my noise is coming from.

osufans 12-04-2008 10:06 AM

So 94rt10ohio, are you saying the seals are or are not the problem? Even if the front corner of the seals was torn, why would this cause the air noise I hear at the top of the door, which goes away when I pull the door in towards the cab? I'm guessing I need to get some muscle on the door frame and "bend" it in.

dirtydog 12-04-2008 10:32 AM

Deflector make noise and yes the mirrors make noise as well.
I have bent the top of doors before with the window down. Make sure the window is down!!! You could also place that butyl rubber door sealant tape on my door where it will touch the seal. Atleast then there's no bending involved

In order to literally bend your door, you need to put your foot where your elbow sits and it's not easy to bend. I had to do that on my stratus.

You can probably put shims on the bottom door hinge and that will bring the top in a little as long as you have enough to loose on the bottom side.

4x4HemiFreak 12-04-2008 10:36 AM

yea i have a big promblem with my mirrors i upgraded my sound system and the driver side mirror just rattles out of control and it get pretty noisy and anoying.

JCW355 12-04-2008 07:51 PM

My truck make the air noise around the doors too. I put a dollar between the seal and it just slides out with no resistance at the top of the door. Other places there is resistance.