3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Question for anyone who has recently

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 04:24 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question for anyone who has recently

Question for anyone who has recently had a Automatic Transmission Service done.
Are they not, changing the filters any longer? I was advised that they were just exchanging the fluids. When i asked about the filter, they advised that the new fluid that their using cleans out the filter......(I actually never heard this before)

Old 12-15-2008, 06:21 PM
Ilovemytruck
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a service done at 30k at a goodyear shop, it was a complete flush with no filters being changed. At 55k, I had the service done at the dealer and they drained everything and replaced the main sump filter and the spin on cooler supply filter. The proper name is in the book, all I know is I have two filters. If you want a flush then there going to flush it; if you want a drain and refill, they will change your filters etc, but with the drain and refill I hear you dont get all the fluid out. It all depends on the "service" your requesting. The flush was 99.99 and the other was like 200.00 at the stealer including taxes etc.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:19 PM
OlDirtyJohn
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

either way you go, your arent going to get everything. with just a flush i think they are forcing new fluid backwards through your tranny until it is all replaced. now in my opinion thats ****ty because what happens to all the sludge and debris and build up in there? goes right back into your filters. and then on the other hand, if you drain, replace filters and fill her back up you are only getting around 5-6 quarts out of the 14 or so total. because you arent draining the fluid out of the torque converter.

best thing i saw to do, was mentioned by another member here on this board (cant remember the name though) that would be to drop the pan, replace the filters and fluid. then disconnect the return line from the tranny, turn the truck on, and let the pump push the rest of the old stuff out into a pan while having a buddy add new fluid at the same time.

i havent tried it yet myself, but in theory sounds like a pretty solid, yet messy plan.

thats just my 2 cents, there are a plethora of posts on this subject to do additional research though.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:12 AM
Tractor
Professional

NYPANAMA42 --I would not let any shop/one work on your truck that told you that BS. Filters need to be changed at max-50,000 for flat filter & 80-100,000 for spin on. If you have the Hemi/545RFE I would recomend changing both every 50,000 miles. If you have the time and can get this done, it will save you TONS of time, money and aggravation down the road.----A new trans pan from dealer is only 35$. Buy one. Go to parts/hardware store and buy a fine tread nut&bolt to the size u want for your drain hole. Drill the appropriate size hole in the front passengers side/corner of new pan. Have someone weld the nut on the OUTSIDE (so as not to void warrenty) of the pan. Grind bolt so it does NOT protrude into the inside of pan. Paint it black again. Get both filters from dealer. Take old pan off & replace both filters(be sure rubber gasket does not stick to trans on flat and spin on filters) then install your new & improved pan, refill w/6.5qts of atf+4. You will need a tube of RTV sealant for the new pan for the gasket.
From this day forward, your trans oil change will take only 10 min.. I changed ours 2X per year and had no trans issues. Hope this helps. I did this to our 04' QC 4X4, and we tow a toyhauler that weighs 10,500lbs. Fluid & filters are cheap, transmissions are not.

Last edited by Tractor; 12-16-2008 at 03:15 AM.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:08 AM
meridian
Professional

Originally Posted by OlDirtyJohn
either way you go, your arent going to get everything. with just a flush i think they are forcing new fluid backwards through your tranny until it is all replaced. now in my opinion thats ****ty because what happens to all the sludge and debris and build up in there? goes right back into your filters. and then on the other hand, if you drain, replace filters and fill her back up you are only getting around 5-6 quarts out of the 14 or so total. because you arent draining the fluid out of the torque converter.

best thing i saw to do, was mentioned by another member here on this board (cant remember the name though) that would be to drop the pan, replace the filters and fluid. then disconnect the return line from the tranny, turn the truck on, and let the pump push the rest of the old stuff out into a pan while having a buddy add new fluid at the same time.

i havent tried it yet myself, but in theory sounds like a pretty solid, yet messy plan.

thats just my 2 cents, there are a plethora of posts on this subject to do additional research though.
This method works great! I have done it loads of times!

Old 12-16-2008, 09:09 PM
Hemi636
Amateur

I recently had to take my truck in to the dealership under warranty at 35,000 miles because the check engine light came on.
They told me that the transmission had set off the code. The service receipt said: scanned it for faults P0876 pressure switch rationality. As per TSB 21-007-06 check trans codes and replace sump filter and cooler return filter. Reseal and fill to spec.
I had bought the truck used from the dealership about 6 months ago. The truck supposedly had the 30,000 mile recommended service at the dealership before I bought it as part of the used vehicle certification where they flushed the transmission only 5,000 miles ago, so I would have to say that the filter change must be important.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:23 PM
manogmin
Professional

i made a suction machine out of a vacuum cleaner motor, an old propane tank and some tubing, i just suck all the fluid out of the pan thru the dip stick, then change the filters but you still have the fluid in the torque converter, but i change mine about every 30000 so i feel that im pretty good on it.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:02 AM
Hemi636
Amateur

Geez oye,
Manogmin you ought to change your handle to ...MACGYVER

Old 12-17-2008, 05:55 AM
meridian
Professional

Originally Posted by Hemi636
Geez oye,
Manogmin you ought to change your handle to ...MACGYVER

Hey don't knock him! The price of stuff today we need more freebie ideas!

Old 12-17-2008, 06:25 AM
Hemi636
Amateur

Not knocking him by any means. Just impressed with his ingenuity.

Quick Reply: Question for anyone who has recently