3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2005 Hemi 1500 rear diff exploded????

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 10:12 AM
My Blue 05
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Hemi 1500 rear diff exploded????

Morning all, I have a 2005 ram 1500 Hemi with tow package and LS rear end. I just hit 67K and the rear started making noise so i took it in and one of the bearings let go so they replaced them all under warranty after my $100 deductible. So my question is this, is this normal? I know I have read on here that the LS rears have some issues but what exactly are the issues? I'm hoping its bearings and the replacement ones from dodge fix the problem as I only have 3K more miles on the warranty. And second question is are there any issues with the front diffs?

I bought the truck used last year with 17K on it. I have religiously maintained everything myself. I only use royal purple and change the diff fluid every 30K. They replaced all the bearings, axle and carrier. I just find it really strange that it went with such low mileage and the only thing I tow is my ATV in the bed.

Last edited by My Blue 05; 12-23-2008 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:18 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Have you ever changed the rear diff fluid? I will change mine after the initial 5kmi break-in and then again every 30kmi after that.
When I bought my 2000 silverado with 46kmi, it appeared that the diff fluid was never changed and the bearings started to go south. That truck had an open carrier and the gears were trashed. I replaced everything at 72kmi.
The problem in the lsd rear diff is the actual locker and not bearing failure. Bearing failure is clearly a lack of maintenance. Did they replace all of the bearings or just axle bearings?

Old 12-23-2008, 10:21 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by My Blue 05
Morning all, I have a 2005 ram 1500 Hemi with tow package and LS rear end. I just hit 67K and the rear started making noise so i took it in and one of the bearings let go so they replaced them all under warranty after my $100 deductible. So my question is this, is this normal? I know I have read on here that the LS rears have some issues but what exactly are the issues? I'm hoping its bearings and the replacement ones from dodge fix the problem as I only have 3K more miles on the warranty. And second question is are there any issues with the front diffs?
The single most written about flaw among Dodge trucks is the retaining clip (most often wrongly referred to as the "C-Clips") issue with the Dodge factory LSD. My guess is a retaining clip let go and basically chewed up the ring & pinion gears. Yes, all too common!
Very common and most people have them removed and replaced or simply choose to run with an open differential long before the unit has a chance to grenade.
Sad thing is, Chrysler refuses to admit there is a flaw and the replacement parts are just as prone to fail, or at least as of a year or so ago this was the case.
For the $350 or so that a solid, much more functional and dependable LSD such as the Auburn Gear unit is, most go the route of 3rd party on this one.

The front of an IFS 4x4 cannot have an LSD or Lockers due to the fact that it uses CV axles, so you will not have the issue with the front.

Last edited by HammerZ71; 12-23-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:38 AM
My Blue 05

I bought the truck used last year with 17K on it. I have religiously maintained everything myself. I only use royal purple and change the diff fluid every 30K. They replaced all the bearings, axle and carrier. I just find it really strange that it went with such low mileage and the only thing I tow is my ATV in the bed.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:45 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

If the failure was due to the retaining clips (which I'm sure it was) it doesn't matter how well you maintained the rear diff. The clips are a **** poor design and can fail at any time, no matter what mileage. Although with lasting until 67k miles, you probably are at the higher end expected life of the clips...

Old 12-23-2008, 10:45 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rear and front diff service interval is 15K not 30K.
Al.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:52 AM
My Blue 05

Originally Posted by abarmby
The rear and front diff service interval is 15K not 30K.
Al.
From what I understand thats for towing/heavy usage and I do neither. In my dodge manual it say to service the diff's every 30K and I use diff oil that far exceeds conventional oil as it better for 20 bucks a quart...

Old 12-23-2008, 10:54 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Yeah, light use and a solid synthetic, I'd agree with the 30k interval. Just my opinion...

Old 12-23-2008, 10:56 AM
My Blue 05

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
If the failure was due to the retaining clips (which I'm sure it was) it doesn't matter how well you maintained the rear diff. The clips are a **** poor design and can fail at any time, no matter what mileage. Although with lasting until 67k miles, you probably are at the higher end expected life of the clips...
Are there any reasonable options to correcting the issue? I was thinking about dropping the ratio to 4.11 and replacing both the front and rear when I lift it but if I understand you correctly here that will leave me with the same clip issue I have now as I was going to have the dealer do the gear swap.

Thanks again!

Gregg

Old 12-23-2008, 11:00 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Are there any reasonable options to correcting the issue? I was thinking about dropping the ratio to 4.11 and replacing both the front and rear when I lift it but if I understand you correctly here that will leave me with the same clip issue I have now as I was going to have the dealer do the gear swap.

Thanks again!

Gregg
An aftermarket Auburn LSD or a Detroit TruTrac is you best option. Will perform tons better than the stock unit and if installed correctly, WILL NOT grenade on you like the corporate unit.

Quick Reply: 2005 Hemi 1500 rear diff exploded????