DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech-65/)
-   -   Transmission Shudder... and more!! I'm sick of it! (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/185101-transmission-shudder-and-more-im-sick-of-it.html)

Cthulhu 01-05-2009 11:19 PM

Transmission Shudder... and more!! I'm sick of it!

Alright.. this may sound like a rant, but I'm so sick of this BS.

I have a 2007, Dodge RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4x4, ST Package. I have 265/70R17, Toyo Open Country ATs, and other than that, no mods! I tow a 19ft Travel Trailer 3000km/yr.

Since about 25,000kms I've had an ongoing issue that no one seems to have any clue about.

25,000km - I notice at 63kmph, under light throttle (maintaining) there's a shudder. It feels like I'm driving over a rumble strip. I search online and find a non-equipment-related TSB and pose the question if this could be related to the dealer. They look into it, call me a liar, the problem doesn't exist, and send me on my way.

26,000kms - I take it in again, and convince them to take another look, review the TSB, replace the torque converter and reset the computer, flash it and send me away. The problem goes away.

29,500kms - Problem returns while on holidays. I return to the dealership and am called a liar again. I get frustrated, decide maybe to live with it.

42,000kms - Problem now exists at all speeds at some intensity. I take the truck back into the dealer and they agree to look at it. Shopforeman goes for a ride with me to verify I'm not a liar. Feels issue, agrees to take the problem on. On his own diagnostics, he sees on the monitor that the torque converter is going in and out of lockup at a high frequency, including in Tow-Haul. The only reason I can't feel it at some speeds is it is very smooth.

They replace the torque converter again, flush everything, replace the solenoids.

Problem doesn't go away.

Now at 46,000kms, frustrated as all heck. I've spoken with a couple different dealers, all they can do is go to their "TSB list" and if it doesn't exist there, I must be a liar. (I'm glad they don't diagnose people like that)

I'm in Canada, we don't have lemon laws, nor is this a "non-drivable" issue. Its frustrating. Driving a new(er) truck, and having it rumble down the street, knowing it slipping, knowing it might fail on the highway, in -42degC weather (I live up north).

Is there someone out there that can shed some light PLEASE!?!?! It appears theres a problem, but no one knows how to fix it!

(Oh, and here's the kicker, we have 1 Dodge dealer up here! Next one is 5 hours away!)

dirtydog 01-06-2009 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Cthulhu (Post 1501860)
(Oh, and here's the kicker, we have 1 Dodge dealer up here! Next one is 5 hours away!)

This alone would of steered me away from buying a Dodge in general and from livin in the Boonies. There 5 Dodge Dealerships within a 20mile radius of me.

lost_trail 01-06-2009 06:52 AM

Not sure if this will help but.......

I recently traded fro a 2002 1500QC, 5.9l, 86k miles. During the test drive, everything was good, but on the drive home, started having what sounds like similar issues; at certain speeds/loads, the truck felt like it was 'sputtering' and jerking. RPM's were fine, everything pointed me towards transmission. In addition, the cruise control stopped working. Returned it to the dealer next day. Diagnosis was torque converter and something else in the trans. Couple of days later, got it back, same issues. Also had a couple of instances where under hard acceleration, like merging onto the highway, trans would not shift into higher gears, so was racking near redline at 60 mph.

Long story short, after about 2 weeks of this, finall found out there were 3 spark plug wires loose on the plugs and not making full contact. Evidently, with all the wonderful computerization, this sends funky signals throughout the system and gets confused on how the trans is supposed to shift. It got lost ast to which gear it was supposed to be in.

No issues since those 3 spark plug wires were seated properly.

Just a thought. Hope it helps.

Cthulhu 01-06-2009 09:19 AM

That may explain why I get the odd surge... I don't get the racing engine, or the reluctance to shift, but I'll be driving along at 45kmph, then without changing the throttle, it picks me up to 50-52kmph...

Interesting, I'll check that tonight!

04QC4X4 01-06-2009 05:46 PM

Sorry to hear about that. I just bought a new truck because my old one (2004 2500 Diesel) was in the shop about 20 times in 1.5 years. I feel your pain. Hopefully you'll figure it out. Good luck.

dodgeorgethit 01-06-2009 05:49 PM

Throttle positioning sensor

Cthulhu 01-06-2009 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by dodgeorgethit (Post 1502617)
Throttle positioning sensor

Can you elaborate? If this is a potential issue, I'd like to go in with some reasons why that would be something to consider....

Redone4x4 01-06-2009 11:26 PM

my truck started shuddering and shaking at different speeds, and progressively got worse. Took it in, i was sure it was the torque converter. turns out it was a burnt up piston, creating a dead cylinder. it sent everything out of balance...they ended up replacing two pistons.....i posted about it on here.....Do you have any diagnostic codes? mine came up as a "misfire" in cylinder 5 and 6.....

Cthulhu 04-03-2009 09:30 AM

I haven't heard them mention anything like this.. interesting..

So the truck is in the shop again today... has been for 2 days.

Now they are saying I have a bent wheel and a bad alignment and they want it fixed before they continue.

I've come back and said, if it's bent, show me, and if the alignment is out, prove it.

I don't want to be paying for work that they "suspect" is the problem.

Does anyone else feel paying for solutions is asking too much?

I don't understand how a drone could be wheels/alignment as it's not pulling, and highway travel seems decent.

a4twenty 04-03-2009 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Cthulhu (Post 1501860)
26,000kms - I take it in again, and convince them to take another look, review the TSB, replace the torque converter and reset the computer, flash it and send me away. The problem goes away.

sorry no answers but a quick question, was there a TSB on the torque converter??

i've had mine replaced once already for a leak and it leaking again, worried i'm going to be stuck with this crap for as long as i own the truck but if they admit to the problem maybe i can actually get it fixed instead of just replaced with the same garbage.