3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

how much boost can the hemi handle?

Old 01-16-2009, 06:08 PM
BlacknRed06
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much boost can the hemi handle?

how much boost can the stock internals on the hemi handle saftly? Im looking at a procharger kit that runs 8-9 psi n i have seached the forums and cant seem to get a straight answer on if that would be safe or not, thanks for you help.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:14 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

8psi should be ok. Just make sure you have a proper tune for it to keep the timing low and the mixture a little rich under boost.
I would ask Procharger to verify, but usually the kits are designed and tested on a stock engine, or they would have to tell you up front that internal mods are needed.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:16 PM
bulletperformance
Professional

your going to blow seals and gaskets out the wazoo it can only take 2psi on stock gaskets and the internals will get annihilated with that much boost plus you will have to get different injectors and different coil system it is going to be alot more then just slapping a charger on..

Old 01-16-2009, 06:26 PM
BlacknRed06
Rookie

im doing fuel system, tune and head gaskets

Old 01-16-2009, 06:28 PM
BlacknRed06
Rookie

I have researched everything pretty extensivly as far as what i will need just cant get the boost limits of the internals

Old 01-16-2009, 06:28 PM
TANKZ400
All Star

When most people 1. get stuck 2. lose control 3. crash they say hold on. Iowa dodge owners say Hold my beer what this sh*t.

Might want to fix that it makes no sense!!!!!1

Old 01-16-2009, 06:31 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by bulletperformance
your going to blow seals and gaskets out the wazoo it can only take 2psi on stock gaskets and the internals will get annihilated with that much boost plus you will have to get different injectors and different coil system it is going to be alot more then just slapping a charger on..
procharger sells a whole 'turnkey' system, they even include tuning in their package. put it in, turn the key, go. if procharger says it's alright, i'd take their word for it.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:42 PM
bulletperformance
Professional

take a leaf blower and pull your air box off and turn your truck on that about that your gunna get you can hear and see the truck struggle.. unless they have something that will adjust the setting in the ecu i dont think 8 psi will be what you will get it .. and whats wrong with my signature

Old 01-16-2009, 06:55 PM
bulletperformance
Professional

so i just looked at the procharger site and it states that the boost specified is at the peaked performance. and i like how they add the heat transfer info in small print too. when we put the charger on my wifes car we had to change a few things around thats why im skeptical about it being a bolt on turn key system.. i trust procharger 150% but there is something left out some where.. i am puzzeled i guess i would have to see the specs on paper. but thats just me ... anyway sorry for the thread jack.. i would replace your head gaskets and intake gaskets see if you can find 4 layer head gaskets.. i would also run a cooler spark plug as well.. just to be on the safe side.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:56 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm thinking about 5 psi, you'd need something like the stage 0 SRT-4 injectors, and I'd damn sure do a 3 gauge pillar and put a wideband, boost and fuel pressure gauge in it.
I think SCT is doing custom tunes for both the Procharger & STS systems.

Oh and one more thing, you do the above and don't have 4.56 gears and a higher stall converter, then you are pissing your money away...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 01-16-2009 at 07:37 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how much boost can the hemi handle?