3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Manual transmission ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 11:22 AM
bigdaddyII
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual transmission ?

Please forgive my ignorance in this question, but I have very basic (and I do mean basic) knowledge of how 4 wheel drive drive trains work.

I have a simple question and will outline the reason for asking to open the gate for other options. My uncle recently traded his Trailblazer with one of his friends for a 2004 Ram 1500, ST with the 3.7 liter and 5 speed. The truck runs great but has some kind of transmission glitch. It will not go into 1st gears while sitting still, so you either have to jam it in 1st gear before you come to a complete stop or back up a little then jam it into 1st gear. The reason I say jam it, is because thats exactly what you have to do and it makes a loud grinding noise. Also if you dont hold your hand on the shifter it will pop back out of gear in 1st and 3rd. All other gears seem to be fine.

He has changed out the clutch, master, throwout bearing, and slave trying to correct this with no success. Instead of having the transmission rebuilt he was wondering about putting a junk yard transmission in, but it seems that most MTs available are for 4wd trucks, this is a 2wd. So my question would be: Would a 4wd transmission work in a 2wd truck? I know there are other parts to a 4wd system but not sure whether the transmission itself would be the same.

Sorry for making this so long, and thanks in advance for any ideas, advice. Oh, and we have already leveled it, and the truck sits on new wheels and 18" Cooper Zeon LTZs.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:51 PM
socket462
Rookie

nope- different bellhousing/adapter for 4wd vs 2wd transmissions.. Guts may be the same, but its the outsides that are different.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:52 PM
bigdaddyII
Captain

Thank you sir, thats what I needed to know.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Chris1530
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check your salvage yards locally before getting a rebuilt.. could be half the price.. and most come eith 6-12 month warranty..
Car-part dot com might also yield some results, just put in your search area

Old 12-09-2011, 07:25 AM
scwpd
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the sycro for first has gone out my experience is the others are not far from going either

Quick Reply: Manual transmission ?