DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech-65/)
-   -   05 Ram Hmi 4x4 Laramie.....overheating..... (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/191695-05-ram-hmi-4x4-laramie-overheating.html)

I B RAMN 03-01-2009 08:25 PM

05 Ram Hmi 4x4 Laramie.....overheating.....

05 Ram Hemi 4x4 QC Laramie

alright, maybe a little insight from some others will help.

i've read like 20+ posts on overheating in this forum and though some are similiar, none of them are exactly like the issues I'm having. I see it could be a # of things.....from a radiator cap to a radiator replacement.

ok, so my truck is overheating after it's been running awhile. It will spike when I'm stopped at a light or in bumper 2 bumper traffic and going at very slow speeds. Temp slowly climbs and then pegs out for approx. 10secs and then starts to come back down. I've also noticed that when i'm at a stop and put it in nuetral the temp will come down a bit....but when I start to move again the temp may start to slowly climb until moving at a consistent speed. After i'm cruising at freeway speeds it seams to be at the normal temp mark.

I don't notice any radiator related leaks. The levels look good. The overheating started shortly after I had the oil changed & fluid levels checked at EZ Lube. Could it be possible they may have "topped it off" with a little of the wrong antifreeze/coolant(same color, but not HOAT)? It coudn't be alot as the fluid level was never really low(yes, i check them periodically). These are supposed to be good and not need changing for 100,000 miles.....so they say! Anyway.....I have the extended warranty and plan to take it into the dealer. Hopefully it's an easy fix, but if not I hope it's covered under the bumper 2 bumper warrranty.

any suggestions? TIA

Tractor 03-01-2009 08:35 PM

It sounds like a sticking thermostat. That is an easy fix, just make sure the little hole on the edge of housing is at the 12 o'clock position when installing and make sure it is not backwards.

Redone4x4 03-01-2009 08:45 PM

+1 on the thermostat...its worth a shot since its such an inexpensive part.

HammerZ71 03-01-2009 08:52 PM

yep, sounds exactly like the t-stat is sticking, take it to the dealer if you got a bumper to bumper. But it's really a $10 and 10 minute fix...

traker1001 03-01-2009 10:17 PM

+1 on the T-stat. Your other options aren't as easy or nice. Replace it and see.

I B RAMN 03-01-2009 10:32 PM

thanks guys for the comments......just went and bought a T-stat and will install it tomorrow. I paid $25 at Autozone.

will update post with news!

HammerZ71 03-01-2009 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by I B RAMN (Post 1569719)
thanks guys for the comments......just went and bought a T-stat and will install it tomorrow. I paid $25 at Autozone.

Wow, that's high! Unless it's a stainless steel lifetime warranty one, like the Jet 180*, that's about what I paid for mine. But Advance Auto sells a standard one for $9...

Redone4x4 03-01-2009 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by I B RAMN (Post 1569719)
I paid $25 at Autozone.

wow, that does sound like alot. is it a lifetime warranty or something?

I B RAMN 03-02-2009 09:27 PM

thanks again guys.....i thot that was a bit high too! It's a duralast if that matters?

one more question......do i need to apply sealant to the t-stat housing and gasket?

I B RAMN 03-02-2009 09:46 PM

i figured it out. the new t-stat came with a rubber ring. i took the old t-stat out and the old rubber ring and am replacing it with the new unit.....NO sealant needed!