3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

TRX4 susp. Lift

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 04:03 PM
TRXTIM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRX4 susp. Lift

This is my first post so bare with me. I have recentley bought a 2007 ram 1500 TRX4. I have read that a TRX sits 1 to 1.5 inches higher than a normal ram 4x4. I read on superlift that if you get a 4 inch kit you will only be putting on 3 inches because the kit's are based on a basic 1500. So if this is the case the kit's are made to level out your truck, will you'll be putting on 3 inches on the front and only 2 inches on the back? If anyone has a trx or has any info please let me know. Thanks

Old 03-11-2009, 04:51 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

i would think the TRX option isnt a suspension thing but i could be wrong

Old 03-11-2009, 05:19 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

According to the 2007 Dodge Ram Specification Guide:

Quick Order Package 2HT TRX4 Off Road
  • NOT AVAILABLE in California, Massachusetts, Maine, New York or Vermont.
  • Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle, 3.92 Gear Ratio
  • Tires: P265/70R17 OWL On/Off Road
  • Wheels: 17" x 8" Aluminum w/2_T/AM2
  • Center Hub
  • Fog Lamps
  • SIRIUS Satellite Radio
  • Not available in Alaska or Hawaii.
  • 1-Year Service Provided By SIRIUS
  • For More Info Call 888-539-7474
  • Transfer Case Skid Plate Shield
  • Gray Upper Fascia
  • TRX4 Off Road Badge
  • Tow Hooks
  • Front Suspension Skid Plate

The TRX4 Off-Road package consists of no upgraded suspension components. Therefore, any suspension lift kit should give you the advertised lift height...

Old 03-11-2009, 05:31 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

so my thinking was right good find hammer

Old 03-11-2009, 05:37 PM
TRXTIM
Default TRX Lift

This is a copy from superlift about the lift one of a couple that say there a difference. But I'm with you I thought they were the same and they may very well be. The other strange thing is that my truck has 3.55 gears.

Superlift lift kits for the 06-08 4WD Dodge 1500
4” & 6” Lift Kit Features:
  • Front lift choice of new strut towers (no strut disassembly required), or replacement Superide Select SS series gas monotube strut bodies by Bilstein
  • Replacement knuckles yield best possible alignment specs. Front track width is not increased and factory turning radius is retained.
  • Front lower control arm crossmembers laser cut from 3/16” material.
  • Belly pan, constructed of 1/4” material, connects crossmembers and protects differential.
  • Retains front anti-sway bar link extensions factory “service for life” links.
TRX Model - Both Superlift’s 4” and 6” lift kits will fit Dodge’s TRX. Some additional Superlift components are needed if using the strut spacer lift version. Note that the TRX factory ride height is approximately 1” taller than the standard 1500, so you will gain 1” less lift than stated.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:51 AM
a4twenty
Professional

Originally Posted by HammerZ71583459
The TRX4 Off-Road package consists of no upgraded suspension components. Therefore, any suspension lift kit should give you the advertised lift height...
i think you're quoting the TRX4 option package ( to be added to a vehicle ) and not the actual TRX4 model. i have the same truck and there was definitely different shocks installed on the TRX4 model. i'll have to look for the paper work but the TRX4 came with "red" off road shocks ( or something like that ). now i don't know if there was a height difference or the shocks are just red but there was a difference in suspension between models.

i'll look for the paperwork and post back............

Old 11-11-2010, 02:08 PM
08Ram1500TrX4

2008 1500 TRX4 5.7 hemi

had it for a year now

it does sit 1" taller have parked next to other rams and have gone to dealer ships

the shocks are a "offroad" shock infact the rear is what sits 1" taller where as the front end is only about .25" taller

there is a pretty big diffrence in handeling. i live in the kootays in BC and do ALOT of offroad here. this truck never fails me i would be dead or standed if it were any other vehical i will sear by that. ive done these trails in a chevy s10 ram 1500 sltQC 5.7 hemi and my TrX4 QC the SLT had more bounce to it and would bottom out at the bottom of some of the regular down hill rough patches. where as the TRX4 was very stiff and would not even bounce even though the front sits at almost stock ram 1500 hight.

as for lift kits and such yes the rear end will lose 1" off the listed hight ( have tested) i just added an add a leaf to corect this but it also helps aswell seeing as the weakest point of the truck are its tires and i carry 4 spares with me at all times on trails. i run 265/70r/17s right now and will continue to till next season when the mud races begin. i have hash marks on the back tailgate for all my tire victims. 8 so far in 3 months:P mind you i go 70k/h when pssoble for the MDS fuel efficency. go ram :P

il say the TRX4 has also been rock solid on these trails aswell.

**a testemony**
long story short hauling *** on the worst of rocky bits lost a tire ( no change in handeling or speed ) kept going on a rim still no loss in power or speed eventually the rim came off and i was draging a rotar still no change in pwoer or handeling. eventually 4-5 clicks down the road a buddy wanted a beer we get out and lo and behold we are screewed. a 40 click hike later and a spare tire replacement the truck ran fine and the breaks were good. (small cratch on the roar wich were machined out) il post pics of the rim. this was the reason i now have 4 spares and a kit to change tires on and off rims with a under hood compressor unit.

sorry i now that was off topic but yes the TRX4 is definilty a ram on its own. not quit a power wagon but its own bread.

ps. the front does retain all lift hights that the kits state its just the rear.

(hard to find a kit for the TRX4 i just peaced mine together)

IF YOU CANT DODGE IT RAM IT

Old 11-14-2010, 06:54 PM
08Ram1500TrX4

check this out found it randomly

http://www.superlift.com/media/bulletins/S187.pdf

second page conferms 1" lift btw

Old 11-14-2010, 08:54 PM
PETE_YK
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a parts person for a dodge dealership i can say this: There are about 15 different part numbers for the rear springs on a 1500 and same goes for the front. So its quite possible that aside from different springs rates, the actual ride height of the springs on a particular trim level will be different. You also have to consider slight differences in manufacturing, even though quality control is taken very seriously these days lol

Old 11-17-2010, 02:27 PM
08Ram1500TrX4

pete question for you as a parts guy

would getting a bigger coil spring for the front and and a diffrent leaf set up be a viable way to lift the truck 2-3 inch

my thinking it it would remain stock in set up ( almost) but you would then have a lift and beefer suspention. could this be done with out major modifecation ?

Quick Reply: TRX4 susp. Lift