DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech-65/)
-   -   seafoam? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-ram-tech/195459-seafoam.html)

pythonbunny 03-31-2009 01:12 PM

seafoam?

I have a 03 1500 with the 5.9 magnum. I just tried to seafoam my truck through the brake booster as directions state. The problem is when i unhook the vac line from the booster my idle only increases a bit, and when i start to let the vacume suck some of the seafoam (very little like a mist) it starts to die. It took maybe 10 minutes to do a 1/8 of the can. I let it soak for 10 minutes off and no smoke or nothing just would not keep running unless i kept the rpms up. After about 5 minutes the idle was back to normal. What did i do wrong? By the way i put a 1/4 of the can in the tank afterwards.
Bryan

ramhunter9 03-31-2009 01:23 PM

i thaught seafoam was only for your oil and gas????
i used some of that in my old 5.9 and i just pit half a can in the gas tank and half in the oil started her up and i had a good smoke show and it worked like a charm.

never heard of it going threw the brake booster ?

korby05 03-31-2009 01:58 PM

yeah you can put it through the brake booster...what it does is gets sucked directly into the cylinders and cleans it out...

to do it the best way you need 2 ppl to actually do it..yourself to pour it in and somebody in the truck to hold the rpm up.. we did this a couple times with my old truck and with a buddies of mines car..this stuff does a great job..

mopar6spd 03-31-2009 03:37 PM

I'd recommend Marvel over seafoam..

Just my opinion..

matthewbeard 03-31-2009 03:49 PM

It just cleans out the cylinders?

Trigger 03-31-2009 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by mopar6spd (Post 1612494)
I'd recommend Marvel over seafoam..

Just my opinion..

Really? Did you have a bad experience with Seafoam?

I've seen heads pulled after using Seafoam. A little light brown around the exhaust valves, but otherwise clean.

I don't know what's in it, but it definately works.

mopar6spd 03-31-2009 04:03 PM

Well, i'm sure either one is going to do what you need. I just always thought seafoam was more for removing water and whatnot. and marvel was more of a lube/cleaner for the heads/injectors? I may be wrong, but like i said im sure either one will work.

04-fourseven 03-31-2009 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by ramhunter1 (Post 1612281)
i thaught seafoam was only for your oil and gas????
i used some of that in my old 5.9 and i just pit half a can in the gas tank and half in the oil started her up and i had a good smoke show and it worked like a charm.

never heard of it going threw the brake booster ?

I didnt know you could do it that way. half and half. But you have to change the oil right afterwards right?

I was told to run around the block before, get the oil hot. Then after dumping it in your system, run it kind of hard for about 5-10 minutes, then change your oil.

Ramdamit98 03-31-2009 04:22 PM

Pretty much a two person job with the fly by wire throttle body on the Hemi. With an actual cable throttle on my '98 I could just rev in up myself from under the hood while I used the Mopar Combustion Chamber cleaner, but now with the Hemi I need someone in the cab to keep the rpm's up so it doesn't stall.

Matt99 03-31-2009 06:01 PM

Guys, I have heard so much great stuff about seafoam, but recently got a horror story.

Seafoam actually cleans out the cylinder so good that all of the lube is taken out with it. If you do not take it slow and let it idle for awhile (with a good oil) it will actually burn out some of your seals until it gets lube in the cylinder.

Clear this up for me...this all came from a 75y/o mechanic so it might be old school engines or something