3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:54 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

trailer brake wiring???

Old 04-02-2009, 12:39 AM
Kevin58145
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trailer brake wiring???

Hey everyone im new to the forum, I have a 2004 Ram 1500 Hemi 4x4 SLT quad cab.

I dont have a brake controller on the truck but the truck came with a hitch and the flat 4 prong plug just for lights.

I looked under the dash and up near the parking brake pedal there is a plug thats says "electric brake"

Question where does that plug lead? and does that mean the wires are there for me to wire the brake controller and 7 pole plug?

or do i need to run 3 more wires to the rear for the 7 pole plug?

Old 04-02-2009, 12:59 AM
i-love-my-dodge

everything is there, and pre-wired. the plug you found is where the harness you wire into your brake controller plugs into. if you dont have this harness, usually come in the glove box, then go to your stealership or parts store and get one and wire it to the brake controller and plug it into the plug you found and yours good to go.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:39 AM
09W3500
Rookie

When I recently bought my Tekonsha P3 brake controller, I made sure they included the wiring adapter for the Dodge hookup (Part #3020). They go for (about) $12.00 + shipping on Ebay. (I had mine included with the brake controller, so they combined shipping.)

Old 04-02-2009, 09:20 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Wait. Do you have the 7-prong plug at the back of the truck? I don't understand how there could be a plug and wiring with no 7-prong plug????? My truck came with both so i don't know if you need to wire or not but it sounds like the plug maybe at the rear of the frame? I'd look there see if it's not tucked up back there as well???

I think only the 2500+ series came with the harness in the glove box, not the 1500's.
I too bought a Prodigy P3 and it came with a better harness than factory. The harness to plug from the plug on the e-brake pedal to the back of the controller. No wiring. It has connectors on both ends where as OEM needs to be wired on one end. Here's the link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/P3-Br...Q5fAccessories

Best price around and a nice controller.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:08 PM
SHNOOL
Rookie

I have the 2500, but it is my understanding that if you have the e-brake harness under the dash, then you have the 7 way receptacle on the back as well (part of the OEM towing kit?).

+2 to the others here, the aftermarket kits for OEM to TEKONSHA Prodigy (or P3) cables are the best... snap in, and you are done.

Look to the left of your rear plate bracket for a receptacle.

Attached Thumbnails trailer brake wiring???-0927080928c.jpg  
Old 04-02-2009, 01:40 PM
TheFist
Veteran

I'm looking for a brake controller as well. You guys recommend this one so its good enough for me. I've got the 7 plug on the reciever and the 4 plug is hanging there behind the bumper.

In the cab to the right of the parking brake is a piece of plastic with what looks like a nine slot plug. I guess this is the "port" that you plug the harness into. I'd just order the trailer brake with the right type of oem harness. plug side into the "port" in the cab of the truck and the other into the brake controller, mount the controller somewhere in the truck and my travel trailer now has brakes right?

On another note, if my trailer brakes were dragging, wouldn't they make the same smell my normal brakes would. After I hook this up I want to make sure my brakes aren't dragging.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:49 PM
09W3500
Rookie
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Best price around and a nice controller.
That's the outfit I bought my brake controller and wiring adapter from. I figure I saved about $50.00 when compared to local prices.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:04 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TheFist

In the cab to the right of the parking brake is a piece of plastic with what looks like a nine slot plug. I guess this is the "port" that you plug the harness into. I'd just order the trailer brake with the right type of oem harness. plug side into the "port" in the cab of the truck and the other into the brake controller, mount the controller somewhere in the truck and my travel trailer now has brakes right?
Yes. That is correct as long as your trailer brakes are wired and working properly.
Originally Posted by TheFist
On another note, if my trailer brakes were dragging, wouldn't they make the same smell my normal brakes would. After I hook this up I want to make sure my brakes aren't dragging.
Yes but you wouldn't really smell them because they are so far back. Best bet is to jack each wheel up that has brakes and remove the wheel and spin the brake drum. You should have slight drag. The brake shoes should be barely rubbing in the high spots. If not, adjust accordingly.
If you don't want to go through all that and want to be a lazy man....lol Hook up the brake controller and while backing up at about 5mph with the trailer hooked up, hit the brakes. If they lock up and look like the trailer want to go in the air, they are too tight.
Another way is to drive a few miles around town and get out and feel the drum. It should be just warm to the touch. if they are really hot, they are too tight.
Now, if you are in drive and going 5mph and push the trailer brake lock lever over, your trailer brakes should dtop the truck and maybe even skid if you have dual axles and one axle brakes.
Hopefully that helped out a little.

For the mount, I actually bolted mine on the bottom of the steering column for that stealth hidden look. It's very tight and does rub if I try to drop the steering wheel to the bottom most setting, but why would I ever do that. I have it on the 2nd setting from the bottom and there's enough room. Also, some guys lift their steering wheels when they exit and most guys don't put the steering wheel at the botom location. here's a pic of mine. It's perfectly visible and super close to touch. Just pay very close attention to the steering wheel and make sure you can do a full revolution and not touch the controller. That is why it's recessed off the front lip about 1/2" and why it touches with the steering whel all the way down, but clears the 2nd notch from the bottom.

Last edited by dirtydog; 04-02-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:21 AM
Kevin58145
Default still confused

to the left of my plate is just a blank which pops out for the round trailer brake plug but the truck does not have one currently and the only wire that i clearly see is just the 4 wires for brake, tail and turn, but there is a plug under the dash that says electric brake which has me puzzled why would there be that plug under the dash but no wiring to the rear bumper.

thanks for all the replys i need to figure this out I dont like the feel of moving a loaded car hauler with no brakes on the trailer.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:57 AM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to get a brake controller and not sure what to get. I'm gonna give this thread a little bump cause i have the same issue ...

Originally Posted by Kevin58145
to the left of my plate is just a blank which pops out for the round trailer brake plug but the truck does not have one currently and the only wire that i clearly see is just the 4 wires for brake, tail and turn, but there is a plug under the dash that says electric brake which has me puzzled why would there be that plug under the dash but no wiring to the rear bumper.

thanks for all the replys i need to figure this out I dont like the feel of moving a loaded car hauler with no brakes on the trailer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: trailer brake wiring???