3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hella question

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 09:08 AM
hemidel
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hella question

I purchased the hella 500's to put behind the grill and I have a question about the wiring. I know there is tons of post on here but my question is different. Is there any other way without tapping into the high beams. I want to keep the relay, but i know you need to two power sources which is the battery and that high beam connection. Has anybody tapped into something else?

Old 04-04-2009, 09:30 AM
Alpheus
Banned

There are a ton of posts on here about Hellas,but it does you know good if you dont READ them. You can tap into anything you want, running lights,low beams hell turn signals if you want. Do a search it helps trust me...

Old 04-04-2009, 09:38 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You dont have to tap any thing and can just do a seperate switch on the dash or console somewhere to turn them on and still have the power to the relay from the battery. I can do you a diagram if you want an example

Old 04-04-2009, 09:39 AM
hemidel
Professional

I have. Either they use the relay and tap into high beams, or they ditch the relay and wire straight to the battery.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:44 AM
Alpheus
Banned

Originally Posted by hemidel
I have. Either they use the relay and tap into high beams, or they ditch the relay and wire straight to the battery.
I would advise against this. Keep the heavy amps under the hood. Why would you bring 15+ amps into the cab of your truck where it gives you more of a potential for failure and hazard than just 200 or so milliamps? Use the relay that's what its there for and keep the heavy amp load wiring to a minimum... ...

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...different.html
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ella-500s.html
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...hella-yah.html

Last edited by Alpheus; 04-04-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:45 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have mine tapped into the running lights so they come on when I turn on my first level of lights. I also have them tapped into the alarm so they flash with the alarm. You have lots of options for wiring.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:13 AM
hemidel
Professional

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
I have mine tapped into the running lights so they come on when I turn on my first level of lights. I also have them tapped into the alarm so they flash with the alarm. You have lots of options for wiring.
Running lights, are you talking about the parking lights. Is that a 12v source? I also have an alarm, but i wouldnt want them coming and when the alarm goes off.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hemidel
Running lights, are you talking about the parking lights. Is that a 12v source? I also have an alarm, but i wouldnt want them coming and when the alarm goes off.
Yes, the parking lights. It is a 12v source and it is easy to tap into. Also, I should clarify that it isn't wired to the alarm but to the wire that triggers the lights to flash when you arm/disarm the system.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:55 AM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

I used the relay and have them wired directly to the battery. I have a driving lights switch on the dash....

Quick Reply: Hella question