3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

High Venting Noise coming from the engine for the first few seconds after the engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 01:37 PM
CVS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Venting Noise coming from the engine for the first few seconds after the engine

I’ve owned my 2005 Dodge RAM 5.7L HEMI truck for about 6 months now and there is a behavior I have noticed occasionally that I do not understand.
Every now and then, when the engine first is started, a different noise comes out from under the hood, a venting kind of noise that lasts for a few seconds after the truck starts moving.
After 10-15 seconds or so the engine noise drops down to normal. Also during this time it seems that I do not have the same amount of traction I should have, I never really pushed it but it seems that the truck is slightly less responsive.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be about?

Thank You!

Old 07-16-2009, 01:47 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Sounds like the usual cold start to me, engine is just not warmed up. Is the idle way up too?

Old 07-16-2009, 01:50 PM
CVS

Yes, it is. Thank You Truckin!

That makes sense. I didn't really think it was something wrong with my truck as the behavior is very predictable but I didn't really understand it.

CVS.

Old 07-16-2009, 01:56 PM
truckin151
Grand Champion

Mine does it first thing in the morning or after its been sitting a few days. The idle is high and the engine is really loud (well louder than usual) but by the time I drive down the road a bit it goes away and sounds right.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:08 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Mine seems to almost always idle fast for a short bit, even on hot restarts. Has done it since new.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:47 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know what he's talking about, I keep forgetting to get out and look, it sounds like a really loud fan for about 2 min or so. I usually hold the RPM at 1000 and it goes away. Do you not give your truck a chance to warm up a little before you start moving down the road?

Old 07-16-2009, 07:58 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by CVS
I’ve owned my 2005 Dodge RAM 5.7L HEMI truck for about 6 months now and there is a behavior I have noticed occasionally that I do not understand.
Every now and then, when the engine first is started, a different noise comes out from under the hood, a venting kind of noise that lasts for a few seconds after the truck starts moving.
After 10-15 seconds or so the engine noise drops down to normal. Also during this time it seems that I do not have the same amount of traction I should have, I never really pushed it but it seems that the truck is slightly less responsive.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be about?

Thank You!
Originally Posted by HemiLonestar
I know what he's talking about, I keep forgetting to get out and look, it sounds like a really loud fan for about 2 min or so. I usually hold the RPM at 1000 and it goes away. Do you not give your truck a chance to warm up a little before you start moving down the road?
That's the clutch fan fully locked up guys...it'll happen once in awhile during a cold start (usually the first of the day). It has something to do with the silicone in the clutch..it probably bleeds into the coupling over night causing the lock up in the morning and it's normal. Mine does it also....you can always do the E-fan mod.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:48 PM
raceblue270

mine does i too but it's usually after sitting a work all day (10 hours) and it seems like it takes a lot for it to start moving. i park on kinda a small hill and it takes quite a bit of throttle to get over it. kinda makes me look like an idiot when we're all trying to leave and i'm revving the **** outta my truck.haha

Old 07-16-2009, 11:44 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Doesn't really do it to me when I'm getting ready to come home from work, just in the morning before I leave.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:59 PM
davb673
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My truck did the same thing until I removed the clutch fan and installed my Efan.

Quick Reply: High Venting Noise coming from the engine for the first few seconds after the engine